question

steveetogo avatar image
steveetogo asked

Webhook sends data multiple times

Hi there!

I need a little bit of help regarding my Webhook.

So I set up a Webhook to send the data to our webserver whenever the event "player_reported_as_abusive" is triggered. Our webserver then informs me about this happening with the data we got.

The problem is, I got a notification about the same abusive player report three times already within ~48 hours. So apparently somehow the Webhook pushes the data multiple times even though the event is just triggered once.

Does anyone have an idea why that happens and how I can prevent that? I read somewhere that PlayFab webhooks re-try under some conditions I couldn't find out.

Best regards,

Steffen

webhooks
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered
@totaloncue @steveetogo

Hi, after consulting with our product team, here is the info I got, we use "at least once" delivery semantics. This means that, for any given message we will retry until we get a positive confirmation from the receiver. This can create duplicates when the receiver fails to respond for some reason despite actually receiving the message. In these cases, the culprit is either the stability of the receiver or general internet randomness.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi Steffen, can you provide us your title id, we will look into that, thanks.

5 comments
10 |1200

steveetogo avatar image steveetogo commented ·

Thanks! That would be A957.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan steveetogo commented ·

Hi Steffen, I see in your title that one player generated three or more “player_reported_as_abusive” events within 48 hours, would that be the case?

0 Likes 0 ·

@steveetogo Hi Steffen, I can see that you have left a comment saying “No, in this case I received 3 webhook pushes to our webserver for the report on August 14, 2019 6:31 PM”, but somehow this is no showing in this post. Can you confirm this for us again? If this is the case, it’s possible that some kind of incident caused the PlayFab webhooks to re-try just like you said. If this issue only happened once, it’s probably a server glitch that you don’t need to worry about. You can try to conduct some kind of a test to see whether it’s an accident or not.

-1 Like -1 ·
steveetogo avatar image steveetogo commented ·

Hey Citrus. Indeed. My post is right. It was just this one report. I'll try reproduce it next week.

0 Likes 0 ·

We are investigating this, I will keep this thread updated, thanks:)

0 Likes 0 ·
totaloncue avatar image
totaloncue answered

We are facing the same issue with our title (Title ID A0D3). Our webserver is being triggered twice for each event -- on occasion, the second trigger seems to happen as much as 12 hours after the initial trigger

2 comments
10 |1200

Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

Hi, we are investigating it, any updates will let you know:)

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan commented ·

@totaloncue Hi, can you provide specific event ids that were duplicated? We can use them to look in the logs to potentially identify a problem, thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
tarek avatar image
tarek answered

We are having the same problem.

We are using google apps script with a google sheet as web app (API) to log specific events.

The Playfab Webhook keeps calling the endpoint over and over again for the same events.

We will appreciate any suggestion.

Notes:
- Playfab Title ID: 6B9D2
- In apps script we are using a doPost(e) and at the end we are returning the following:
return HtmlService.createHtmlOutput("");

2 comments
10 |1200

franklinchen avatar image franklinchen commented ·

Hi @tarek, would you mind post a question so we have engineer to track your issue in that thread instead of renewing this one? Please also tell us the event setting of your webhook. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
tarek avatar image tarek franklinchen commented ·

Sure, I will post it as a new question.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.