question

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image
brandon@uprootstudios.com asked

Servers 2.0: StandBy servers amount is always maximum, even when set to a lower value

According to the @SethDu here, "In terms of Standby server, the quantity of it should be larger than 1 but less than the Maximum, it simply shows how many servers will be in stand-by states. The advantages of it is that players are able to quickly access to the multiplayer server otherwise they will wait for the server to boot up and get ready."

However, when either creating our build through the CreateBuildWithCustomContainer API call, or modifying an existing build through Game Manager, the number of StandBy servers never seems to decrease and always is set to the maximum.

Here's an example: We've created a build in EastUs with 4 maximum servers and 1 StandBy server (in production the number of StandBy servers would be way higher, but still not the maximum, but we'll use 1 as an example).

Notice that at the top, we choose 1 Standby server in our configuration. However, at the bottom is the view from the Servers page in Game Manager showing that there are currently 4 servers in Standby mode.

If it's a simple non-bug issue and I'm misunderstanding I apologize!

My best guess is that it is one of three possibilities:

1. The Game Manager is wrong/poorly worded and there is actually only 1 server in Standby and the rest haven't been allocated yet?

2. I'm misunderstanding the concept and Standby servers refers to VMs instead of containers within the VM. So, for example, if we have 4 servers per-VM with 8 max servers per region, if Standby was set to 3: one VM would be active (4 servers) and one wouldn't?

3. There is a bug and Standby servers are always allocated even if the number is less than the maximum?

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I will dig into it and discuss with the team.

0 Likes 0 ·
brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Alright, thanks! If you need more info, my Title is E39D6 although we currently have no active servers.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Your No.2 assumption is actually correct.

The chart in the Game Manager should be correct, there is no issue related to it reported recently. Meanwhile, value in “Total” field equals the number of “Active” plus “StandBy”, which is not directly related to “Maximum servers”

Normally, it will take some time to open/close servers after you change the StandBy server number.(but I believe it is not the cause) Still, I have spent some time to verify it and it seems fine on my title.

In terms of why there is 4 stand by severs, I will give you another example of my title. I have configured 2 servers/machine. When 1 or 2 Stand By server is configured, there will always be 2 standby server in the chart you can see in the Game Manager, while if you set 3 or 4 stand by servers, the chart will always show 4 in standby. This indicates that every time a VM is online, it will create the maximum server instances in Standby mode within a VM you set and seems to be by design.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.