question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Windows phone 8.1 binary formatter issue

angelsinhbfs
started a topic on Sat, 28 February 2015 at 2:21 PM

hey so I have been trying to integrate playfab into a game I am working on in unity, it works fine in editor but when i go to build i get an error because the .net library that windows phone 8.1 uses does not include system.runtime.serialization.formatters
curious if there is a workaround. Im going to cross post this to msdn to see if anyone on the windows end has something to offer, i know they did for some of the reflections library.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Best Answer
zacb said on Tue, 31 March 2015 at 4:51 PM

Angelsinbfs,

Our latest SDK is out here (https://github.com/PlayFab/UnitySDK). This should resolve the issues your were seeing.

As always let us know if you run into any further issues.

Thanks for being patient.

-zac

6 Comments
zacb said on Sun, 01 March 2015 at 2:29 PM

Hey Angelsinbfs,

We will take a look at this soon. Can you provide the repro steps, exact error message and any other specifics that will help with diagnosis?

Thanks,
Zac

angelsinhbfs said on Sun, 01 March 2015 at 4:21 PM

I actually fixed that part, and will post what I did soon. I am running into a new issue with IConvertible. It doesnt exist in the NETFX_CORE. Just started working on it, so it will probably be a bit before I figure that one out. For the binary formatter I ended up writing a plugin. using some information from around the web.

Repro steps are adding the playfabunity sdk to a project and trying to build for windows 8.1 phone or universal

the new error is
Assets\playFab\Playfab\PlayFabSDK\Internal\JsonUtil.cs(129,124): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'IConvertible' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

it was basically an identical error previously with 'BinaryFormatter' instead of IConvertible.

if you would like I can attach the changed playfabData.cs and the 2 plugins I used to get rid of the binaryFormatter one, or their .cs files

angelsinhbfs said on Sun, 01 March 2015 at 4:39 PM

ok this just isnt going to work in its current state for windows 8.1 store or phone. The iconic.zlib and JsonFx parts both make heavy use of system.IO and System.Reflections. Both of which are not really supported in the netfx_core. I would love to use this on windows 8.1 apps, but for now its looking like its just going to be android/ios. If you need/want more info from me shoot me an email and I can send you whatever I have

zacb said on Sun, 01 March 2015 at 5:06 PM

We are currently removing our use of JsonFX in favor of an optimized flavor of json.net that we are tooling to work across all platforms.

At the moment, we ran into a blocking bug introduced in Unity's recent 4.6.2. As soon as that is resolved we should be unblocked to finish up the release. We are specifically targeting iOS and android first; however, I imagine that the updated library will also benefit Windows Phone as well.

I will post back here when we update our library.

-Z

angelsinhbfs said on Sun, 01 March 2015 at 5:12 PM

cool, for now ill work on the android platform, and ill work on porting when you guys release the update. The guy I was talking to at microsoft said they are releasing something that might help too. so hopefully soon everything will work. Its all working beautifully on android right now.

zacb said on Tue, 31 March 2015 at 4:51 PM

Angelsinbfs,

Our latest SDK is out here (https://github.com/PlayFab/UnitySDK). This should resolve the issues your were seeing.

As always let us know if you run into any further issues.

Thanks for being patient.

-zac

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.