question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

Is there a guide for debugging multiplayer servers using Remote Desktop?

It's really cool that we can RDP into remote servers with servers 2.0, but I'm just presented with a command prompt and have no idea how to perform useful debugging. I was hoping to see a console with logs of my exe or something like that.

Context: Specifically, I'm trying to debug why my server is stuck with the PendingHeartbeat state. I already set up the Mock VM project using this guide (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/multiplayer/servers/locally-debugging-game-servers-and-integration-with-playfab) and things seem to work fine locally. I'm just not sure what's happening remotely.

Custom Game Servers
w0y4p.png (33.3 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image
brandon@uprootstudios.com answered

If you want to see resource usage, you can just type "taskmgr" and look at Performance

I don't remember exactly where the server logs are output (along with GSDK logs/etc), but you can search using directory commands

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Benjamin Bennett avatar image
Benjamin Bennett answered

Is there any follow up to this? I have a custom Unity server running on Thunderhead but I can't seem to see any of the logs from it.

1 comment
10 |1200

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

If you want to get the logs from your Unity game, you need to tell the Unity executable where to output the log file before running it. Then, you can view the file either in the Archive once the server exits or through remote desktop by navigating to where the file is.

If I remember correctly, on Windows, the log directory that is zipped and stored as an archive was C:\GameLogs\

If you want to store your Unity logs there, you need to add the argument to your Unity server (example):

MyServer.exe -logFile "C:\GameLogs\server.log"
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.