question

Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image
Brent Batas (Lisk) asked

Are game servers in multiplayer 2.0 running before a match is found?

I'm trying to wrap my head around Multiplayer 2.0 game servers and how servers are spun up in relation to the matchmaker forming matches. It's difficult because my tendency is to think in terms of Legacy Matchmaking, since that's what I've been using for years.

Am I correct in understanding that a fundamental difference between Legacy Multiplayer and Multiplayer 2.0 is that:
- in Legacy Multiplayer, the server exe only starts up when StartGame is called. StartGame is typically called once the matchmaker forms a match, but not before that.
- in Multiplayer 2.0, the server exe is always running. It should call GameserverSDK.ReadyForPlayers, which is a blocking call. It will block until the matchmaker forms a match.

Custom Game ServersMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

I’m not so familiar with Legacy Server. About Multiplayer Server 2.0, after your server is deployed successfully, yes, game server executable is running. GameserverSDK.ReadyForPlayers() is called and blocked. When an allocation call has been done it returns true. And when the server is being terminated it returns false.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.