question

Fuzail Sarang avatar image
Fuzail Sarang asked

Load Testing and APIClientRequestRateLimitExceeded

We are performing Load Testing using a single server and Gatling with about 400 concurrent unique users. We keep getting an APIClientRequestRateLimitExceeded error, would this be related to the fact that all users are logging in from a single IP Address?

We get it for the following calls: LoginWithEmailAddress and GetLeaderBoardAroundPlayer

I assumed that APIClientRequestRateLimitExceeded applies per user/player?

limits
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Fuzail Sarang avatar image Fuzail Sarang commented ·

This is on titleId 8F43

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

Hi, I tried to reproduce your situation and got the same errors as you did. Therefore I assume that the rate-limiting is still on a per-IP basis like you mentioned, you can read this thread in which Brendan mentioned the basis of rate-limiting.

In this thread, Andy mentioned that the burst rate we allow right now is 100 client API calls in 2 minutes, in your situation, API calls are way greater than the limit.

Therefore, in order to test the actual situation more accurately, you may need to put the players on different IP addresses for a more reasonable testing result.

By the way, as Brendan said, PlayFab itself operates at over 100 million MAU, with anywhere from 2 to 3 million concurrent users at peak each day. A test simulating few thousand users would be fairly redundant if you're just trying to see if we can scale to your needs.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Fuzail Sarang avatar image Fuzail Sarang commented ·

We testing out UI/Client with load testing so its more integrated load testing. Will look at splitting it up.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Fuzail Sarang commented ·

Alright, any issues let us know:)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.