question

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image
Cedric Neukirchen asked

Crossplatform Account Creation

Hello everyone,

we are currently setting up the Crossplatform Login for our Title and I'm curious how this should work with PlayFab. I've read through the API and best practice docs/blogs, however there is still a lot left to be answered.

The idea is that a player can either play the game for the first time on Xbox or Steam.
Now we can't just link the account to PlayFab without actually telling the player, so I assume this has to be an annonymous login at the start. I can't find any "DeviceID" logins for Windows and Xbox, so what's the catch here?

Further do I have to check if the player was already logged in? So first try to login, then if it fails create an account?

What about linking the Xbox/Steam account to the PlayFab account after that?
Also if I choose to login with Steam and Xbox directly, how do I make sure a Player who played the game on Xbox can keep their progress on Steam? How do they link their accounts with each other?

Cheers!

Authentication
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Is it maybe possible to let the player login with Xbox or Steam, and then display them a unique PlayFab ID in some options screen? And with that ID they can login on the other Platform, affectively linking their other Subsystem Account to the same PlayFab account?
If yes, what ID and what Login stuff do we need to use for that?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
v-humcin avatar image
v-humcin answered

You can use LoginWithSteam and LoginWIthXbox for frictionless logins with the "CreateAccount" flag set to true. Then you would need to add some form of recoverable login so that the player can link the accounts. You can add an option to use AddUsernamePassword to their first account and provide the option in both of your games to link the account by having them login with username and password on the second device and then use LinkXboxAccount or LinkSteamAccount to add the second device to their account.

You just need to make sure to emphasize that after linking the second accounts login, any progress made with the second device before linking will be lost and they will only have the account that the login was originally assigned to.

Let me know if there is anything that is still unclear!

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Hello Hunter,

is this possible without Username and Password? Are there any other ways of linking two accounts? Because I don't really want them to deal with creating Username and Password when they should actually just login via Xbox and Steam.

Isn't there a way to call "LinkXboxAccount" and providing the unique PlayFabID of the first account? It would be easy to list this in some profile window and then having the user type that once to link to the existing account. I assume this brings security issues, cause you could link any account to this if you have that ID. We will have to discuss this internally.
Username and Password is pretty heavy friction.

Kind regards,
Cedric

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.