question

plourdegui avatar image
plourdegui asked

Create discounted store for items listed in Google/Apple while avoiding item ID/price discrepancies

I am listing items in Google Play Store and Apple Store.

I have created a default catalog containing all of the game items.

From my understanding, stores can be used to override prices for certain items.

However, if item prices in PlayFab need to match the prices of corresponding items in the stores, how can I effectively make a sale through a PlayFab targeted store without having to also change the mobile stores? It seems to me there is a limitation due to the fact that store items are overriding the price of the default catalog, but they keep the same ItemId, hence creating a discrepancy with the Google/Apple store.

A potential solution I thought of is to create duplicate items having different prices as described in the example use case below:

e.g.

"MyItem1" at 5.00$ is defined in Apple Store, Google Play Store and PlayFab's default catalog.

"MyItem1_OnSale" at 2.50$ is defined in Apple Store, Google Play Store and PlayFab's default catalog as well as in a targeted store named "StoreOnSale". The item is the exact same as "MyItem1" but it has a different price. "StoreOnSale" contains all of the default catalog's items except "MyItem1".

A player being in scope for "MyItem1" and not in scope for "MyItem1_OnSale" sees Item1 at 5.00$ whereas if it were to be in scope for "MyItem1_OnSale" and not in scope for "MyItem1", it would see Item1 sold at 2.50$.

Please let me know if this alternative works or what the best practice is.

Thanks and regards

SDK: Unity

TitleId: 686C

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

Do you mean in-app purchases? Or you would like to list items in app stores? If you use in-app purchases in Unity, you can use API GetCatalogItems and GetStoreItems to list the same items at different prices, in your game or app, not mobile app stores. Using PlayFab Stores won't override the catalogs' prices and using segment override can let players in different segments see the different prices of the same items.

I’m not so familiar with setting up in-app purchase in app stores. According to our blog, PlayFab Store is supported. These same items share the same Item Ids, is it inconvenient for you to use? If so, your solution is right. Or do you mean stores’ prices override catalog’s prices and you would like to use catalog’s prices too? If so, you can use GetCatalogItems to get catalog's items, or if you use segment override you can change your players’ segments to make them see the original prices.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ahmednajeeb avatar image
ahmednajeeb answered

Hey plourdegui,

Did you manage to make it work any other way ? I mean other than explicitly defining new item (across all platofrms) for each item you'd like to set on sale.

hey plourdegui,

did you manage to make it work any other way ? I mean other than explicitly defining a different item for each item that you want to have on sale.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.