question

Toni Palm avatar image
Toni Palm asked

Granting lots of items in a bundle

Hi,

We have a need to give lots of (stackable) items for players. For now in the testing phase we want to be able to give, say 100 pieces of 15 different items. This is too much for the inventory to handle. I've tested this with 13 x 10 items (+ some currencies) in a bundle, and even that takes more than 4 seconds to execute from CloudScript, which results to timeout error, which results to only partial data to be visible in the client after the call returns.

This is development/testing time but we have high needs in production too.

I have searched the forums and found the following:

• "Please don't grant more than 50 items in one go"
  • "There will be an improvement to this" (said in 2016)

The improvement clearly is not there yet, and it's clearly not a high priority if it takes 3+ years to implement.

So is there a recommended way to implement this in 2019? Our use case is approximately:

• Player collects items, call them "cards" simplicity
  • Player trades the cards for other items, let's call them "powers"
  • A "power" can cost hundreds or maybe even thousands of "cards"
  • There will be a few dozen powers and equal number of different cards
  • Plus some other items

Inventory and bundles provide all the functionality I need but chokes on the amount. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong?

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Good Guy avatar image Good Guy commented ·

Does this problem still exist with Economy V2 ? It seems really silly that the PlayFab side wouldn't just increment Uses.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

A work around solution for now is to directly modify the remaining uses of an item instance in player’s inventory. This can be achieved via Cloud Script. You may send the item instance id as one of the parameters to the cloud script function, then after the verification is done, server API ModifyItemUses is called to change the remaining uses.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Toni Palm avatar image Toni Palm commented ·

Oh, cool, that actually sounds like a useful approach. Requires cloud script though.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.