question

Tanner Wilson avatar image
Tanner Wilson asked

Data Storing Question

Hello! I am rather new to PlayFab and I am potentially not great with the terminology so apologies in advance if this sounds..... stupid.

Anyway, the game I am working on, I have a map, made up of a bunch of regions. These regions can be "Owned" by different players in what I will call countries for now. My problem being I'm not sure how to store the region's and country's data. I would love to be able to store them as a json file containing an id number, name, what player owns it, what country the regions belong to, etc, etc. Title Data wont work, as my game is a realtime text based multiplayer game, and I cant have a 15 minute delay while it caches. I don't see an efficient way to store this data. Does anyone have any ideas, or could at least point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Citrus Yan avatar image
Citrus Yan answered

To delve into this more, we need to know these first:

Is your map pre-established? I mean are there any new regions/countries come up over time? Can players create new regions or countries?

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tanner Wilson avatar image Tanner Wilson commented ·

Hello, thank you for the response. The regions are fully pre-established. The only way more regions get added is if I add them in an update. The countries however are slightly different. When a player "wins" a region, they will need to create (or one will be auto created for them) a country. They will then be able to name and create a flag for said country.

0 Likes 0 ·
Citrus Yan avatar image Citrus Yan Tanner Wilson commented ·

Hi,

After discussion with our team, we’ve come up with a solution for you to consider:

First of all, no doubt that you can store your regions in the title data since they are not likely to change frequently over time. However, the players’ parts are tricky. Your game is a real-time multiplayer one and there must be lots of constant data updates happening instantly once your player number has become very large.

Currently, there are no fully reliable solutions for PlayFab to offer, to handle this very situation you may have to turn to an external dynamic database, like Redis. Redis is capable of your hot data needs, here is the documentation you may find helpful: https://redis.io/documentation

0 Likes 0 ·
Tanner Wilson avatar image Tanner Wilson Citrus Yan commented ·

Disapointing, however I appreciate the response, honesty, and the recommendation, thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.