question

admin-12 avatar image
admin-12 asked

PlayFab Server API requests failing on multiplayer 2.0 servers

As the title says, PF server api requests are failing with an "unknown error" when using UnityWebRequest. This is happening in a sample application that has nothing but the PF SDK and the thunderhead GSDK. Can anyone working on multiplayer 2.0 look in to this? Thanks.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image
brandon@uprootstudios.com answered

@admin-12 I had this same issue and ultimately resolved it by using Linux-based containers with Thunderhead and installing cURL on the containers when building them. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to remedy this issue when using Windows Server-based containers (as Thunderhead uses by default), although I think I narrowed it down to a certificate issue (which installing cURL resolves in Ubuntu).

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

admin-12 avatar image admin-12 commented ·

@Brandon Phillips thanks for the response! Could you elaborate on how you install cURL? Is it something you build in to your game server, or do you somehow do it via the start game command? Is changing to Linux-based containers something you need to have the PF staff do for the title?

0 Likes 0 ·
brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com admin-12 commented ·

Sure, cURL for Windows probably wouldn't help, so until a solution is found for Windows-based containers, you might want to stick with Linux.

However, setting up a Linux-based server is a lot more involved than using the PF web UI for setting up a multiplayer server. I've written a guide on how we set ours up here: https://community.playfab.com/answers/30283/view.html

Once you've set it up once, it only takes a few minutes to get it going again. Since we are also using Unity, I can share a lot of the tools we've created to make it simpler for us if you want.

Long-story-short: You need to create the container with Docker, push it to PF's container repository, and use the Multiplayer API to create a build. Once you've done that, you can access your server builds inside the Game Manager like you would with a regular Windows-based build.

0 Likes 0 ·
admin-12 avatar image admin-12 brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

Thank you very much for that list of steps! It would be amazing if you could share the tools you and your team created to help automate this process.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.