question

Frank Arnot avatar image
Frank Arnot asked

High level pricing/limits/usage queries,High level Pricing/Limits Questions

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating potential analytics solutions for a client project.

The client wants to track a player’s progress through the game, therefore we’d be firing analytics events to track each player’s progress as they play. This will be a small number, ie. <100 events overall from game start to game end per player. So very simple tracking.

Can I possibly ask a few basic questions re: Playfab.

I did manage to find some of this stuff across your website/forums, but as it’s a client project I wanted to get the latest up-to-date info and make sure it’s totally accurate before making a recommendation to the client.

• 1.Could you possible confirm that PlayFab analytics will work with UNITY on PS4, Xbox 1 and Switch? (We are registered developers)
  • 2.Pricing, the $299/month professional tier – would that be $299/month min across all platforms, with the MAU across all platforms determining the actual monthly price?
  • 3.Is there a way to cap monthly price? (in the unlikely case of a runaway success!)
  • 4.Concurrent data events – is there any limit on the number of concurrent users posting events? Again, not that we expect our title to be mega-popular, and given the simple tracking style events we are posting, I can’t see this being an issue but other analytics solutions we are considering have concurrent event limits. To be clear this is concurrent events from different players at the same time.
  • 5.Termination of contract/Data – at some future point when we take the game off-line, do we lose all our data? Or is it possible to pull historic data before closing the account?

Thanks!

Frank

Hi,

I’m currently evaluating potential analytics solutions for a client project.

The client wants to track a player’s progress through the game, therefore we’d be firing analytics events to track each player’s progress as they play. This will be a small number, ie. <100 events overall from game start to game end per player. So very simple tracking.

Can I possibly ask a few basic questions re: Playfab.

I did manage to find some of this stuff across your website/forums, but as it’s a client project I wanted to get the latest up-to-date info and make sure it’s totally accurate before making a recommendation to the client.

• 1.Could you possible confirm that PlayFab analytics will work with UNITY on PS4, Xbox 1 and Switch? (We are registered developers)
  • 2.Pricing, the $299/month professional tier – would that be $299/month min across all platforms, with the MAU across all platforms determining the actual monthly price?
  • 3.Is there a way to cap monthly price? (in the unlikely case of a runaway success!)
  • 4.Concurrent data events – is there any limit on the number of concurrent users posting events? Again, not that we expect our title to be mega-popular, and given the simple tracking style events we are posting, I can’t see this being an issue but other analytics solutions we are considering have concurrent event limits. To be clear this is concurrent events from different players at the same time.
  • 5.Termination of contract/Data – at some future point when we take the game off-line, do we lose all our data? Or is it possible to pull historic data before closing the account?

Thanks!

Frank

limitspricing
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Sarah Zhang avatar image
Sarah Zhang answered

1.Could you possible confirm that PlayFab analytics will work with UNITY on PS4, Xbox 1 and Switch? (We are registered developers)

PlayFab analytics is based on back end data, it will work with any supported platform theoretically.

2.Pricing, the $299/month professional tier – would that be $299/month min across all platforms, with the MAU across all platforms determining the actual monthly price?

Yes, it would. You can refer to the following description from the pricing page for more detail.

How do you count MAU?

We count up the total number of unique players who have activity in your game each month. In other words, the number of players who make an API call to PlayFab in your game during the month. If the same person plays your game on two different devices with a linked account (PC and mobile?) it counts as a single MAU. If the same person plays two different games from your studio, than each count as a separate MAU.

3.Is there a way to cap monthly price? (in the unlikely case of a runaway success!)

Firstly, you can choose more preferential pricing solution. You mentioned professional tier in the 2nd question. Actually you can try Indie Tier for beginning. It provides all professional features up to 100k MAU. It's limited to small developers (no more than 5 seats) who are truly going it alone - no publisher deals - whose titles have no more than 100,000 MAU. If you are on the Indie tier and your game breaks out, we will simply move you over to the Pro tier once your title no longer qualifies for Indie status. If you don’t want to be moved to pro tier, you can control your MAU, keep it in a range. But it depends on your operating strategy.

4.Concurrent data events – is there any limit on the number of concurrent users posting events? Again, not that we expect our title to be mega-popular, and given the simple tracking style events we are posting, I can’t see this being an issue but other analytics solutions we are considering have concurrent event limits. To be clear this is concurrent events from different players at the same time.

If you use the built-in PlayStream events, they are automatically generated by PlayFab Game Services APIs and written to the event pipeline. There is no limit on the number of these events theoretically.

If users need to post events via Client APIs. Yes, there are some limits for API calls. But there is not any specific doc of these limits. This thread maybe can give you some suggestions. If it can't help you. Maybe you can estimate more specific values and provide them.

5.Termination of contract/Data – at some future point when we take the game off-line, do we lose all our data? Or is it possible to pull historic data before closing the account?

No, you won’t. You can explorer historic data via API. Please check this doc for more.

If you have more questions, please contact our sales team via sales@playfab.com.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sarah Zhang avatar image Sarah Zhang commented ·

@Frank Arnot Supplement the following two pieces:

On 4, there’s no limit on the number of players that can be sending events. Limits are on a per-player basis.

On 5, that’s actually how to export data for GDPR. For event data, you can either use the archive option in the Game Manager, or use the export option in Azure that is coming soon.

0 Likes 0 ·
Frank Arnot avatar image Frank Arnot commented ·

Thanks Sarah - that's really useful. Thanks for the answers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.