question

ya-ralla avatar image
ya-ralla asked

A crash while updating the sdk from the extensions deleted EVERYTHING

I've been working on a game for months, while updating the SDK Unity crashed and I lost everything, scripts assets scenes I onyl had the playfab packages on the folder.

I literally lost months of work in a couple of seconds. You should really fix this.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com commented ·

@ya-ralla I talked a little bit about this bug here, although I had just made a commit a few minutes before it happened to me so I was able to restore everything.

Unfortunately I'm still stuck in the stasis of being unable to update the Editor Extensions and trying to do so either throws an error/crashes Unity/crashes Unity and deletes our entire Assets folder, even when updating manually.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
matthewregul avatar image
matthewregul answered

Hello @ya-ralla, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. These situations can be quite frustrating!

I was wondering if you could please provide us with more details on how the crash occurred and exactly what you saw before, during, and after the update attempt and crash. We'd love to try and reproduce the issue, so we may then file a bug or forward it onto the proper Unity teams.

It's possible your files are still on your hard drive, as I've heard that certain Unity crashes may break or corrupt the project settings. Please try looking through your project's file folders, there is a great chance your game is still on the hard drive. If by chance they are actually gone, I hope you were able to quickly restore a backup and jump right back into development.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ya-ralla avatar image ya-ralla commented ·

I was updating the SDK fromt he extensions but the version number do not changed. Deleted the extensiona nd all the playfab packages then installed again. Updated, nothig changed so i clicked again update then Unity crashed. Everything lost.

0 Likes 0 ·
brandon@uprootstudios.com avatar image brandon@uprootstudios.com ya-ralla commented ·

That's exactly what happened to me (although we had a recent backup). While we wait for PF to work out the bugs, now you know to make frequent backups!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.