question

mskiller avatar image
mskiller asked

How does a dedicated server authenticate a user?

Hi everyone

I'll tracking down how to authenticate a user who logs into PlayFab on AWS.

Now my project is using LoginWithCustomID and a dedicated server that I'm developing is on AWS. After a user logs into PlayFab, the user joins a dedicated server on AWS. However, the dedicated server doesn't know whether the user is fake or not. So I want the dedicated server to authenticate the user is a real player.

How can the dedicated server authenticate the user?

Any help is appreciated.

AuthenticationCustom Game Servers
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

May I ask what do you mean authentication? Does it mean verifying if the user login in with his account? or do you want to avoid abusive uses from bots/scripts? (features like Google reCAPTCHA provides)

0 Likes 0 ·
mskiller avatar image mskiller Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I want to verify the user who login in with his account on AWS again. That's why I can avoid abusing users and bots.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

One thing that PlayFab supports natively is to verify the Session Ticket as only after successful login, can player get one and it will expire after around 24 hours. You need to upload the Session Ticket to the dedicated server when the connection, and server may call AuthenticateSessionTicket to verify the ticket.

However, when you are using login related API like LoginWithCustomID, you can set property CreateAccount as false, so that only existing players can be logged in and all players need to go through the registration process. Basically, this can avoid abusive uses in most of the cases.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.