question

Alfred Jonsson avatar image
Alfred Jonsson asked

Don't match two players who recently matched

Hi!
In our 1v1 game, we're trying out the new Matchmaking solution. Our game is a 1v1 online game, and they're matching up fine. But after their game has ended, we don't want those two players to match up again for a while. How would we set up such a rule in the new Matchmaking system?

Thanks.

Matchmaking
4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jital avatar image jital ♦ commented ·

Hello,

Take a look at the Matchmaking Ticket Attributes tutorial. From this, you can set up a Matchmaking rule to prevent consecutive matches by following the general setup in the examples.

It would be possible for you to set up a Difference rule to prevent people from playing together twice in a row, but keep in mind that with any non-arbitrary number of players it would be unlikely players are matched together over and over again. Additionally for players of very low and very high skill levels these groups will be much smaller that the average skill level so it is important to make sure that these groups can still find games

0 Likes 0 ·
Alfred Jonsson avatar image Alfred Jonsson jital ♦ commented ·

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I've set up elo difference rules but I'm not sure I understand fully how to set up the difference rule to limit two players from matching up. How would that work?

I can't find an example of that on the page that you've linked.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
jital avatar image jital ♦ Alfred Jonsson commented ·

The base concept could work like this, when a player enters matchmaking they are assigned a number, whatever number you would like. If players have not played together they will have the same attribute number, this way you can use the StringEqualityRule then once they've played together the numbers will change and not be the same.

After which you can then change to use a Difference rule to determine how recently these players have played together depending on the differnece of this attribute number. This way it can function similarly to your ELO difference rule.

For more information on how these rules work check out documentation on Configuring Queues and Configuration examples

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
jital avatar image
jital answered

Greetings,

I have been looking further into this to see what would actually work for you and I have found that Difference rules operate using a maximum difference not a minimum like I had suggested earlier. Additionally while the StringEquality rule would work, it would result in large numbers of players unable to player together.

Unfortunately the Matchmaking system does not support the behaviour you are trying to implement. Additionally this is unlikely to be a major issue with the vast majority of your player base.

If you would like, you can create a feature request in the Feature Request space of the forums.

I apologize for that misinformation.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.