question

Tim Vegter avatar image
Tim Vegter asked

Can PlayFab avoid listen server port forwarding?

I'm making an Unreal Blueprint based project and started to integrate PlayFab (login, authentication, leaderboards so far) now I'm looking into matchmaking and multiplayer and (think I) understand enough about the matchmaking to make that work and it will return an IP4 with port the server is on.

Now my intention is to not rent external (dedicated) servers (at this point at least, still in prototype phase) but have players be their own listen servers. Now the problem I cant get around is that the server would have to forward its port in the router and I don't want to bother players with this.

When going through other API like for example Steam they avoid this somehow (punch through the NAT using STUN / TURN / ICE?) but I'm not sure how to do this using PlayFab.

I am using the Oculus Online Subsystem and perhaps my answer lies there and not in PlayFab for this but at this point I don't really know yet. Can anyone answer me if I can get around port forwarding using PlayFab on itself already?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

PlayFab multiplayer does not have any support for NAT traversal. It's more designed for dedicated servers. So it can return the server's ip and port to clients directly. For your requirement, you can try with Photon or any other solutions. However these are beyond PlayFab's scope, you may seek for help in other forums.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Tim Vegter avatar image Tim Vegter commented ·

Thanks, I figured this out myself as well. I'm now using the Oculus Online Subsystem and their rooms/sessions to get this working :).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.