question

Peter Wiseman avatar image
Peter Wiseman asked

Usage Limits

I'm not happy with GameSparks' new pricing and usage limits and am looking for an alternative. Specifically, they have introduced a 100 API request per second limit that is per title not per user. It seems like even a reasonably popular game would hit this limit very quickly causing all sorts of headaches. I read somewhere that PlayFab has API request limits also, but they appear to be on a per user basis and the limits vary per request. The post I read was several years old so do these limits still apply and if they're hit, is it up to the developer to handle resubmitting the request or does PlayFab cache the request and try again later? That also brings up another question - if our game loses internet connectivity and an API request is submitted then does PlayFab cache that request silently and try again when connectivity is returned or would I have to write my own code to queue failed requests and try again later?

limits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
v-humcin avatar image
v-humcin answered

The Playfab API request limits are indeed on a per user basis, you can see specific limits for different operations in the "Limits" tab in the settings of the game manager. Playfab will not retry failed requests automatically, you will have to implement a system yourself for retrying failed API calls.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Peter Wiseman avatar image Peter Wiseman commented ·

Are there any plans to add queuing of failed requests in a future release of the PlayFab SDK ? The GameSparks Unity SDK has a way to flag any API request as important and if it fails due to no internet connection then it will try again automatically once the internet connection returns (it's the SetDurable flag on any API request). They don't resend it if the request failed due to API limits but at least if you're playing a game and lose your internet connection briefly and the code tries to submit your score to the leaderboards for example then it will try again once your internet connection returns. Sounds like I'd have to write a lot of extra code to do that myself with PlayFab?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Peter Wiseman commented ·

It's in our backlog, but we don't have it scheduled to be worked on anytime soon, as we've had very few requests for this. "Offline" mode is something most developers like to control the behavior of fairly strictly, since it makes it even easier for a user to cheat. What I'd recommend is that you add this as a Feature Request in the forums, so that others can "like" it, as that helps with our prioritization decisions.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.