question

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image
Cedric Neukirchen asked

Renaming Item doesn't rename it in player inventory.

Hello everyone,

I just renamed an item in my catalog from "custom_hat_vikinghat" to "custom_hat_vikinghelmet", but the change didn't reach the players. They still have "custom_hat_vikinghat" as an item in their inventory.

I kinda expect items to be linked via an id, so why is this not updated?
If it should, then this is most likely a bug.

Cheers,

Cedric

Player Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
v-humcin avatar image
v-humcin answered

Item Instances do not maintain a reference to the catalog item from which they are made. When instanced they become their own object with the data specified at creation. To clarify further, if you changed the ItemId of an item in the catalog this has technically created a new item with the same properties as the old catalog item but with the new ItemId.

If you want to change how an existing item is displayed, you would want to do that client-side.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Right, at this point it's the identifier that needed to change, not the way it's displayed.
We use the same identifiers in UE4 to grab static data from DataTables.
The item simply had the wrong identifier, however was already granted to users via a "First Login" bonus.

So at that point, I might just write a small CloudScript that goes over all users, removes the old item and grants the new one?

0 Likes 0 ·
v-humcin avatar image v-humcin ♦ Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

That should work! If you wanted further advice on the best way to handle that, I would recommend doing a manual "Scheduled task" of type "Run task on each player in a segment" that executes a cloudscript as an action.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.