question

neilcampbell avatar image
neilcampbell asked

Removal of GMS dependency

Is there any way of being able to remove the Google dependency in the Playfab plugin for Android at all?

I am using Playfab in Unity but not able to use any Google services. Any advice on anything I can do here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

apisunity3dandroid
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab Unity SDK is a PlayFab-standalone SDK which means it doesn’t come with Google integration.

If you are looking for a clean version of PlayFab Unity SDK, please see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/sdks/unity3d/

You are free to use any other available mobile services via implementing their SDK into your project. But the build-in push notification services that PlayFab supports are Google FCM and Apple Push.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

neilcampbell avatar image neilcampbell commented ·

Thank you for the link to the clean version of the SDK. When I analyse my apk, I can see that Google Cloud Messaging services is being referenced from Playfab presumably for the notifications as you've mentioned.

With the clean version, is there a way to remove this dependency as I don't require any built-in notifications or is there another way that I'm able to do this?

playfabgoogle.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
playfabgoogle.jpg (16.0 KiB)
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ neilcampbell commented ·

I don't think it is referred by PlayFab as PlayFab is a service based on RESTful API, which means there will only be Http requests for PlayFab service. Even when you send push notification, the only action that PlayFab is related is call the SendPushNotification API (it is server API so basically it won't appear in your client).

The dependency files from your screenshot can be added when you configure the receiving notification functions as this is not parts of PlayFab service. The thing is if you imported Google related package into your Unity Project, and used it in a script. The script is attached to a object, and even though it is disabled, when you build the project into apk, that Google related dependency files will be included in the apk file. As a result, to remove those files, you need to check your Unity projects clearly.

However, if these files doesn't bother players' experience, you can just ignore them.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.