question

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image
Cedric Neukirchen asked

Can't find PlayStream | Difference between UserAccount and PlayerProfile?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to setup our game with PlayFab and I'm running into a few problems as well as confusing events.

First off, in our Dashboard, the only thing I can find is "PlayStream Monitor". However not a single clue where I can actually setup PlayStream events. As far as I understood, they are the only way to react to ServerCode such as "Player Registered for the first time". Can anyone give me a hint as to where I can actually create and linkup a PlayStream event?

And second, I'm currently trying something very simple: Get all relative player data after they logged in via Steam (in UE4). Now that data would entail UserName, Currency, Inventory, etc.
I found "GetUserAccountInfo" as well as "GetPlayerProfile". Which of the two is correct and what is the difference between a User and a Player?

Cheers,
Cedric

Player DataPlayStream
4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Also, I can't access the Client API in your Documentation. It always leads to an internal Server Error. Not very nice :P

0 Likes 0 ·
v-humcin avatar image v-humcin ♦ Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Hello, a full answer is on the way but I wanted to go ahead and get you a link that will hopefully help your documentation problems. Can you tell me if this link works? Client API should show on a list to the left. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/api-references/

1 Like 1 ·
Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen v-humcin ♦ commented ·

Yes, the link works for me. This seems to look a lot better than the API I tried to access.
Thanks a lot! Any comments on the PlayStream issue? (:

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
v-humcin avatar image
v-humcin answered

PlayStream events are triggered automatically by a number of situations and you can "react" to them using "Rules" which are found in the automation tab. You can trigger various actions when an event happens and even have those actions happen only when other conditions are met. If you haven't seen it, you can learn a lot more about them from this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/automation/playstream-events/

For your second question, GetUserCombinedInfo will soon be deprecated, so I would advise you to use GetPlayerCombinedInfo for retrieving that data. You can learn more about it here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/client/account-management/getplayercombinedinfo?view=playfab-rest

rules.png (42.3 KiB)
5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

v-humcin avatar image v-humcin ♦ commented ·

Also I forgot to mention, specifically for your case of doing something when a player first registers, you might be interested in Segments, these are found in the players tab of the manager and allow for you to trigger actions based on certain events as well. For instance, there is an "All Players" segment and you can set a specific action to trigger when any player enters this segment. You can learn more about them here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/data/playerdata/player-segment-configuration

1 Like 1 ·
Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen v-humcin ♦ commented ·

Alright, I will go ahead and use the PlayerCombinedInfo for now and just ignore the other calls. :P Maybe it will start making more sense after a while. For now I assume a Player is per platform and a User combines them all. Something like that.

0 Likes 0 ·
v-humcin avatar image v-humcin ♦ Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Sorry, posted that last comment before refreshing to see you posted a comment. UserAccountInfo is a server API call that requires the title secret key and holds some info about linked accounts and origination of the account mainly used for administrative purposes. PlayerProfile holds data that is more relevant in-game data such as memberships and display name. Then PlayerCombinedInfo just bundles a lot of the relevant data used in-game such as inventory and currencies. Hope this helps!

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments
Cedric Neukirchen avatar image Cedric Neukirchen commented ·

Right, so the PlayStream stuff is basically under the"Rules" stuff. I couldn't find any hint to this in your (old?) Documentation. Most of the time it said to find it in the Dashboard

Your original blog post has no working images either.

Thanks for letting me know though, this makes things a lot easier. (:

About the "GetPlayerCombinesInfo", this wasn't my question. I wanted to know what the difference is between UserAccountInfo and PlayerProfile

However I think I found some information via looking into what the requests return.

UserAccount seems to be an overall bucket for information about underlying subsystems, like Steam, Nintendo etc.
While PlayerProfile is more directed at visible information about the player.

Still seems strange to me as to why this is split. When a player starts our game via Steam and then as well via Xbox and links these together, aren't "User" and "Player" the same?

And if not, what exactly is a User compared to a Player?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.