question

Richard Rayner avatar image
Richard Rayner asked

n00b question about playfab + p2p unity HLAPI

I prototyped a game in unity which uses the HLAPI lobby system. I could host a game and invite friends to join my game by giving them my IP), but it remained hosted on my computer. single player or couch co-op games just started a local host using the same code. does playfab allow me to work this way? or can I use parts of it for matchmaking only? I don't want to go too deep into it to find out its not really what its for. end goal is for it to work the same way but be able to invite/join xbox friends games.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jital avatar image
jital answered

Hello,

Yes, if you would like to keep your game peer to peer but use PlayFab for matchmaking. Please see the MatchMaking docs to get started. You can also use PlayFab to host a multiplayer server or use PlayFab without using any of its multiplayer features.

Hope this helps.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Richard Rayner avatar image
Richard Rayner answered

Hi @jital,thanks for answering this.

i'm now trying to implement the matchmaker only, but i'm not certain this does what I need, unless i'm just not understanding the documentation.

I have multiple players than can join a game from a console device (couch co-op) and they can join an online game which may also have multiple players on that device. so when my lobby starts up, I need to logon to playfab, which is fine.

but how do I log each player in and out of the game during the lobby screen?

the documentation seem to suggest that playfab wants me to login to playfab using a device ID, or a custom login specific to that single player on that device. which is not how i'm trying to run it.

I hope this makes sense, if playfab wont do what I need, i'd like to know as early as possible.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.