question

Jay Mattis avatar image
Jay Mattis asked

How are leaderboards stored internally?

Hi,

How are leaderboards stored internally? Is it using DynamoDB? RDS? S3? I couldn’t find any documentation on this.

Thanks!

Leaderboards and Statisticsdocumentation
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

What's the scenario and what is your specific need? you can simply treat the leaderboards/statistics as Key-Value pairs for now.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jay Mattis avatar image Jay Mattis Seth Du ♦ commented ·

I'm just evaluating PlayFab generally for our next title at the moment. I've found it useful when evaluating other BaaS products to understand the underlying infrastructure of the various components as it becomes easier to intuit expected limitations and design accordingly. I understand the Shared Group Data is backed by DynamoDB or some similar NoSQL DB. Would it be reasonable to consider the leaderboards to be Redis-like or something similar behind the scenes?

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The underlying tech for our services is likely to change out from under you - possibly multiple times - over the lifetime of the games you run on our service. Right now, we use a range of data types for different purposes - some DynamoDB, some ElasticCache, etc. But to be candid, the specifics of the underlying systems shouldn't matter to you. What you care about is that the services do what you need, that they're highly available/reliable, and that they're inexpensive. That's what we work to assure in all our features.

We have an older whitepaper here (http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/api-playfab-com-craft-files/FileAssets/playfabtechnicalwhitepaper_2016.06.18.pdf) that we'll be updating as part of the move to the new developer portal that may help to answer some of your questions. But overall, we would advise against making any implementation decisions based upon assumptions of how our base-level components are implemented.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.