question

karlanton avatar image
karlanton asked

Store world objects?

Is it possible to use playfab to store a objects information thats placed by the player so that i can instantiate/load it at a later time? Just the name of the object and the position and rotation.

Player Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

Yes and no. For a single player experience, you can absolutely store data about the player's world in the player's data in PlayFab. For a multiplayer experience, though, that would be a bad choice.

Player data is designed to be read and written by a single player. If you find scenarios where lots of players need to read data about a specific player, your options are more limited. We do have player entity objects (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/playfab/data/object/setobjects?view=playfab-rest). These are small bits of data meant to be read alongside the player's profile. These are useful for something like a player's guild note or maybe some appearance information. They aren't queryable so you can't get to them unless you know how to get access to the specific player to which they're attached.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

karlanton avatar image karlanton commented ·

@Andy

My plan is for a player to have an appartment and for the player to able to place some furniture then store the furniture name , position and rotation. Then whenever this player enters his own appartment or a friend comes to that place i wanted to retrieve the appartments data. then photon would search in the assets folder for that chairs name and instantiate it with its pos and rot that i stored. Would this be viable? because so far i really enjoy working with playfab and would love to work with it instead of hosting my own mysql database.

Thank you for the information though!

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ karlanton commented ·

That sounds like a reasonable use of player data. As long as the player's apartment will only be visisited by the player's friends, the number of readers of that data is kept low and the dat storage architecture will hold up.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.