question

antony avatar image
antony asked

Automated push notifications not working for player segment

Hi, I've setup iOS push notifications correctly as far as I can tell, when I use the 'send notification' button on the player screen in the dashboard I get an error that says:

"Failed to deliver to mobile device. Check that the device is registered for push notifications. Error: Android Push Notification Failed: InvalidParameter Invalid parameter: TargetArn Reason: No endpoint found for the target arn specified."

The error is mentioning Android even though I clicked the push iOS button...

Anyway, despite the error the push notification works and sends through to my iOS device. The problem I'm having is that I've setup a push notification on a player segment when players are added to the segment. Looking at the analytics events I can see that no push notifications are being sent at all, except for the ones that i've manually sent to myself from the player dashboard.

Is there anything else I need to setup to get these automated push notifications to work correctly?

Note: I'm currently only interested in getting iOS to work even though my app also supports Android. I'm not using Firebase.

My TitleId is:

92A7

Push Notifications
3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

antony avatar image antony commented ·

I should also mention that my players are currently successfully registering their devices for push with playfab.

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ antony commented ·

May I ask how do you set up your segment? Have you also configured Left Segment action?

0 Likes 0 ·
antony avatar image antony commented ·

Hi, I’m trying to implement a puch notification and free currency gift for people that have not played the game in 10 days.

The segment is simply last login greater than 14400 minutes.

There is not left segment action only two joined segment actions, the first being the push notification and the second being a currency credit but neither seem to be working.

The segment says it has 170,000 players in it.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The problem here is that your segment is defined with a "passive" value - the time since the player last signed in. It is not possible to re-evaluate every player every second to see when this occurs, so the only time players would enter this segment would be on a re-evaluation of that segment.

What you're trying to do is define a re-engagement campaign - reaching out to players who haven't played in a while, to get them to come back. Here's how to do that:

First define your segment as you have, with a time since last login. Do not have any entered segment actions. As part of that segment definition, make sure it's a rolling window of one hour. So, players who haven't played for more than 4320 minutes (three days), but less than 4380 (a 60 minute window).

Next, set up a Scheduled Task to run every hour which sends your Push Notification to players in that segment. That way, you're targeting the players who lapsed in that rolling window, thus targeting the time of day they normally play.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.