question

eidolonsdream avatar image
eidolonsdream asked

Number of times the same player data value may be updated within a period of time. This limit is for setting player data can be set. How frequently can you get it though?

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

There is no detailed limitation on the frequency of getting player data. But please keep in mind, you should not make API requests at an excessive rate, or the client might be throttled. For more info, please this question: https://community.playfab.com/questions/11352/api-request-throttled-how-to-fix.html and this answer: https://community.playfab.com/answers/23091/view.html.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

eidolonsdream avatar image eidolonsdream commented ·

Thanks the 100 api calls in a 2 minute window doesn’t seem like a lot. If dozens of players are in a game getting and setting data of their own and each others it would be easy to make more than 100 api calls within 2 minutes.

Can cloud scripts get and set data at a faster rate than a single client? Is there any limits to the amount of players a cloud script can get and set data to within an amount of time?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan eidolonsdream commented ·

As stated in the other thread, that limit is per client. But please note that this is the burst rate limit. Clients should not be calling the core services at that rate on average over the lifetime of the player session.

Overall, your goal should be to minimize calls to the service on a per-client basis, for a variety of reasons (on mobile devices, for example, you drain the client battery faster the more you send). Games that are trying to manage the realtime logic state of a game should be using a custom game server, so that they can send/receive at any rate they like, and have the server periodically update the backend.

1 Like 1 ·
eidolonsdream avatar image eidolonsdream brendan commented ·

Thanks Brendan, I am trying to figure out all the constraints and limits of playfab.

How many calls to the service per client would you say is an appropriate amount over a given amount of time?

I ask because I would need each client to make at least one call per two seconds. The only way I can see this being able to work is if the client makes a cloud script call and that cloud script updates the players data and the other many players they are with data. I am trying to not use a custom game server. Is this possible to do this with cloud script or would you suggest I still use a custom game server?

Can a custom game server have its own local data or does it need to use the player data of each client?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.