question

arnavmazumder avatar image
arnavmazumder asked

Matching random players in a 1v1 word search game

Hi, I would like to know a clear way of matching random players who are online for a 1-V-1 match in a word search game. Whoever discovers all 5 words first wins the round and match ends.

I'm new to Playfab and not very familiar with how matchmaking works in this service. Although I read a few answers around here, I did not see any clear steps anywhere.

Are there any examples using matchmaking in Playfab?

Also from what I could collect, Playfab SharedData is not an efficient way to do realtime matchmaking and hence Photon+Playfab should be used.

I'm no quite convinced on that solution as that means taking care of two different SDKs in Unity just for basic matchmaking, not to mention the additional expensive charges with Photon which our studio can't afford in development phase.

Can somebody please shed some light on this? Basically I want to match random players who login to our game with their Playfab accounts for a 1-V-1 match. (The players don't have know each other or be friends)

Also, if a solution exists, how would I go about obtaining the player ID of a random player who's online for the matchmaking process?

I'm actually migrating from Gamesparks to Playfab due to resent pricing changes, hence I want more clarity on the situation.

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

PlayFab offers 2 server hosting service. For now, Multiplayer 2.0 service is very close to public preview (although I cannot tell you the specific time)and once it is in General Availability, the hosting service will be managed in the same way as the legacy one.

In terms of Legacy hosting service, it is still available for Free Tier user and 20 running hours is offered for you to test your game before it goes live. But sooner or later this service will be replaced by the new multiplayer 2.0.

We provide very detailed tutorials on multiplayer 2.0 implementation and usage on our website, please see: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/

Besides, if you cannot wait for any longer, you still can use Photon+PlayFab as a good solution. Photon provide 20 CCU for free but it doesn’t allow you to upload your own build to server, and your title will use shared server sources.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.