question

steven-1 avatar image
steven-1 asked

Non Unique Group Names

Right now I can't create groups with the same name as another. The documentation for create group says "The name of the group. This is unique at the title level by default." - which implies that this is a setting that we can change somewhere. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere, nor have I seen any other posts about it. Does this feature exist? Will there be a way to allow it soon?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
spsjagadeesh avatar image
spsjagadeesh answered

As of now there is no setting to make group names non unique. I don't think there will be a setting to make it non unique in future as well. There is no need for two groups with same name i guess. It might affect the search entity groups based on name (New feature which will released soon as per Playfab release documentation)

Even I am working in implementing Guild feature for our game . Please correct me if am missing anything.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hernando avatar image Hernando commented ·

Yes, it's correct.

For now, PlayFab does not yet provide the feature to allow the multiple groups with the same name. If you like, please post your demand scenario, I believe that most scenes will have a safe and effective solution.Besides, You can send a thread at our Feature Requests Forum and more votes from other users can help with the priority.

0 Likes 0 ·
steven-1 avatar image steven-1 Hernando commented ·

Right, I should have clarified, I'm worried about this because of the upcoming search feature, which I assume will be based on the group's name, rather than something else. We can work around this by storing the actual name as an object on the group and just generate guids for the groups actual name - but if search is based on the name then that's not really going to work is it?

If group names are unique, what is purpose of having an unique id associated with each of them? Why can't we just lookup by group name by that point - these two identifiers are redundant (aside from being able to build non unique names going forward). It seems like a pretty big oversight to me.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ steven-1 commented ·

I'm pretty sure, worst case, you could attach something like "-001" to the end of each group name. Then, when you do a group search by name, where name == "MyGroup", you'd get back "MyGroup-001", "MyGroup-002", and "MyGroup-003". Your game could then handle removing the extra bits.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.