question

Damian Rajamanie avatar image
Damian Rajamanie asked

PlayFab usage notification

So I have a problem that is occurring at the 'roll over' of Leaderboards.

My leaderboard request is firing off every 30 seconds to get an updated leaderboard. I get the response with the version (Let's say 10). I then request the previous version 9 (version -1), so that I can get last weeks leaderboard, and populate the Reigning Champion (last weeks winner).

At the roll over (Manual Reset, on the hour or when we go live Sunday Midnight UTC), if you're in the area looking at the leaderboard there is a period of maybe up to a minute or more where requests return version 10 still. Looking at the GameManager, the Leaderboard is empty and on version 11.

After a while (1 minute or so) a request will finally return 11.

My assumption is that this period is propagating the leaderboard to various servers and I'm getting 'old' results.

However upon receiving 10 as my version and trying to get 9 I end up falling foul of trying to request an older version, I then get an email from you guys about being over the limit.

Personally I'm not bothered, I don't want a version older than one archive, and I handle the LeaderboardVersionNotAvailable by simply ignoring it. However I do get the emails.

If I keep the current system and go live there's high likely hood that many users are going to be requesting 'over the limit' and I'll be getting spammed with emails.

I'm not sure what your policy is, it says to change the code.. .trouble is I don't know what the current version is at the time I'm requesting it, I'm getting told it's still 10 so I'm requesting 9 during this period.

Can I prevent the emails for this event somehow and just live with the request denied??

Does this bother you guys?

What is the cause of the delay and the return of this version '10' when it should be '11'?

Any suggestions on how else I can handle this?

Cheers

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

Leaderboard resetting may take several minutes, depending on overall load. And PlayFab usage notification is sent automatically when your title hitting a limit. So for your scenario, I'd think you can ignore these notifications with something like rules or filters as these emails are the same format.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Damian Rajamanie avatar image Damian Rajamanie commented ·

OK that's great, I don't care about the emails as long as you guys don't :)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Damian Rajamanie commented ·

In general, if you're getting an "over the limit" error email, there's a problem you should be looking into. The "Number of previous versions of a leaderboard" email does represent a relatively benign issue, but I'd still recommend trying to get that cleaned up before launch. Looking at the title though, I'm also seeing some errors on too-frequent attempts to update user data ("Player data value updates per 15 seconds"). That's one that definitely should be tracked down and fixed before going live.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Brendan, do you have detail on when ("Player data value updates per 15 seconds") occured and the title?

It might have happened from test code, I've not received any emails about that that I can see recently.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Damian Rajamanie commented ·

Yes, BA50 was the one I was looking at. You can see the errors by searching on "title_exceeded_limit" in the Event History:

https://developer.playfab.com/en-US/BA50/playstream/event-history?query=dGl0bGVfZXhjZWVkZWRfbGltaXQ=&kustoQuery=&sumBy=&termsField=

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, I'll try to keep an eye on that every week or so to ensure nothing is slipping through I did not really know about that page :) I've loked into the stuff you mentioned and it's our Dev accounts, null exceptions happening in a function after the line that tries to write so it happens continously until the Unity Editor is shut down, that will be why it spammed over the limit.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.