question

pixelsage avatar image
pixelsage asked

Did you migrate from or try Gamesparks?

Hello Playfab users!

I just found out about Playfab. Gamesparks (a competitor) introduced new pricing and a lot of people are complaining that its new model is neither indie-friendly or monetarily competitive. That's how I found out about Playfab as an alternative to Gamesparks.

Currently, I am producing a game and am moderately invested in Gamesparks. However, since the game is not yet live, it will be impacted by Gamespark's new pricing model and cost me a lot more up front. If it ever made sense to switch to a new backend solution, it would be now.

That said, have any of you migrated from Gamesparks? Or, have any of you tried Gamesparks, but decided to use Playfab instead? If so, why? What benefits have you enjoyed from the switch?

Thanks in advance!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Hopefully we'll get a few folks talking about their experiences (personally, I've spoken to quite a few developers who have made that switch) here, but if you can share what specific components you're needing to integrate, we can at the least get you a few pointers and tips. It's almost all Web API calls (apart from actual download of content and custom game server usage), though we are adding more features in the near future that'll go a bit beyond that, like the upcoming PubSub feature.

But the main thing to understand in getting started with our features is that PlayFab was built around a few core concepts: being able to take as much of the DevOps off your plate as possible and giving you all the LiveOps capabilities you need to be as successful as possible, while keeping our pricing as low as we can.

For the DevOps side of things, we decided up front that we would take care of managing all the data queries under the covers. Issues with queries are among the most common problems games run into in their backends, and in more than a few high profile cases have been the cause of game disruptions and downtimes. Even setting aside queries that have bad behavior, even good-seeming ones can run into issues as you hit higher scale. We've had a number of times throughout PlayFab's history where we've updated the fundamentals of our service in order to allow titles to grow ever larger ('m sure we'll be publishing new numbers soon - GDC, if nothing else - but we passed 100M MAU around the time we joined the Games org at Microsoft).

The pricing part goes hand-in-hand with that DevOps work we do. We made PlayFab a single shared service with a high level of security (no title is ever exposed to any other title's data - apart from your own sharing of data between titles in your studio) specifically in order to give everyone the benefit of that economy of scale. That also means we can provide a free tier for developers who are just starting out, so that they can build and launch games without fear of getting a huge bill if they get far more users than they expected.

For the LiveOps side, we built PlayStream into the core of the service so that every action taken by every player is tracked and immediately available for segmentation, action triggers, etc. That way, your game can respond (and adapt) to the players' behaviors in real time. This last part is fairly limited in our free tier, but you do have a few actions and segments to play around with and get the feel for it.

Of all of it, the one place I'd say we're very aware that we need to improve is in our Cloud Script. Right now, it's simply JavaScript run in a V8 engine that we host in a suite of logic servers. So debugging is extremely limited (really just log lines in the return). We're working on an update that'll allow you to use Azure Functions, which will give you the ability to use C# (or any other .NET language you like) and far better debugging.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pixelsage avatar image pixelsage commented ·

Hey @Brendan!

Thank you so much for your response. I'll definitely be doing more research on Playfab's capabilities on my own, and you've provided some helpful and honest insight. Highly appreciate that!

And yes, I am particularly hoping to get some users to share their experiences that led them away from Gamesparks and into Playfab. That said, some basic info about my project in case it is helpful in any way, shape, or form:

• I am developing a mobile game for iOS/Android on Unity
  • I am the game designer, businessperson, and UI/UX designer
  • I am a novice programmer but have hired a full-time developer
  • The game does not require multiplayer but will have clanmates contributing to quests (async)
  • I have not personally published a game before, but have worked in the mobile gaming industry for over half a decade (Tap Tap Revenge, anyone?)
0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan pixelsage commented ·

Sounds good! And I suspect our tutorials will get you most of the way there, since you're not looking at adding in a lot of complex service components to start (though as time goes by, I'd highly recommend leveraging as much of the PlayStream as you can).

To start - and particularly since you're on mobile - you'll want to have a look at the login best practices (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-players/best-login) so that you can look at how you want to wire up the various auth systems. I'd recommend using a Device ID (and store the iOS one in the Apple Keychain) for zero-friction login, and incent the player to add something recoverable (like a Facebook or Google account) later.

1 Like 1 ·
manofspirit avatar image
manofspirit answered

Hi there,

Another GS pricing affected here, i consider myself quite advanced GS developer and its a shame i had to not continue with them due to this new model.

Anyhow, this is what i expect from an alternative that can fully replace what i was able to do with GS. Playfab seems to have everything but i need some clarification in these points

1- Proper Database with pagination, random selection, other queries so i can

a- Community created and official levels (combination of images and textual content)

a level could be an image along with its meta data , What important for me is show new levels added, popular, trending, and then randomly selected levels along with pagination.

b- Due to GS's database, i was able to provide in-game localization where users were able to add new languages and content.

2- Realtime Multiplayer (Even GS didnt provide it free and i was willing to pay for realtime multiplayer as long as its affordable for indies to grow) including match making and everything between

3- Community related features from realtime Chat (Audio, Video, Textual with ML based content filtering) to messaging to invites etc

4- Leaderboards which we can sort/filter (GS doesnt let us sort/filter)

5- Availability everywhere in the world from China to Russia

Thanks

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

@manofspirit: The OP was really asking for advice from folks on how to migrate his title to PlayFab, but to address your list of items:

1. Sounds like what you mean is that you need a full User Generated Content service (community created levels, etc.). And yes, the UGC service we mentioned in the blog (https://blog.playfab.com/blog/upcoming-roadmap-2019-q1-jan-march-edition) supports all of that. It also supports letting your players charge real money for their content, with you setting the revenue share.

2. We support custom game server hosting, where the cost is simply that - the cost of the server hosting (since they are running dedicated to your title). In our legacy multiplayer model, we just pass on the EC2 cost with a 10% markup to cover our costs. In our Servers v2, we're passing on the Azure cost directly (though with a 30% discount from the public price, currently). We also support integration with Photon Realtime, if you don't need full control of the simulation in the cloud.

3. We don't currently have a chat service available, but we are looking at that as a potential future addition. Keep an eye on our blog for more on this later.

4. I'm not sure how complex of sorting/filtering you need, but our newer leaderboard service (also mentioned in the blog post above) will provide for more sorting/filtering options, as well as bucketization.

5. We currently have games running in the service with players all over the world, including Russia and China. The problem Russia had for a while was that their government blocked all AWS traffic. There's nothing anyone outside the Russian government can do about that when it happens, but over time more of PlayFab will be running in Azure, which so far has not been blocked. For China, the issue is the Great Firewall. Right now, there are two options: either your players have to use a VPN (a common use case there), or you can work with one of the edge service providers (like Akamai) and partner with a China-based company in order to have a valid license to operate in that region. That would enable your traffic to flow though the firewall (and speeds up ping times, in our experience).

1 comment
10 |1200

manofspirit avatar image manofspirit commented ·

your UGC service and upcoming multiplayer is what i need and hopefully when they arrive they arrive with an indie friendly pricing. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.