question

benbean303 avatar image
benbean303 asked

PlayFab not syncing with Facebook Instant friends

Hi, I'm developing a game on Facebook Instant Games. PlayFab is not detecting Facebook friends. Could this be because I'm using the Facebook Instant addon instead of the normal Facebook addon? The Facebook Instant platform doesn't retrieve any user access tokens, so I cannot connect to the normal addon.

I've created two tests users that are friends with each other, and after launching the game on both accounts, PlayFab still reports that they both have no friends.

PlayFab does report that all players have a linked identify with Facebook Instant games, however:

I'm hoping to link the Facebook friends to PlayFab so that I can use the friends leaderboard system.

Friends
linked.png (9.4 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There are a few differences between the Facebook Graph API and Facebook Instant Games SDK, and the friends aspect is a pretty major one. Here's their current SDK as of today:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/games/instant-games/sdk/fbinstant6.2

As you can see, there's no way to request the friends of a user. Their intention is that you send information to other players via their Bot system, but this also limits things like leaderboards.

The "IncludeFacebookFriends" parameter in our friends list and leaderboard calls refers to the non-Instant Games integration, where we can get the player's current friends from Facebook.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

benbean303 avatar image benbean303 commented ·

Thanks for the clarification. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Jens-Stefan avatar image Jens-Stefan commented ·

Hello,

Wouldn't it be possible to use "getConnectedPlayersAsync" to receive the friends of the player? It does return a list of friends who have played the game. And this is all that is required.

If not, then how would you suggest implementing leaderboard view that filters only the Facebook friends, when logging in with the instant game signature?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.