question

Niall Muldoon avatar image
Niall Muldoon asked

Cannot Unlink Android Device ID - Bug - Players Dashboard

Hi,

I am testing linking of Google Play Games (GPG) accounts right now and managed to get one account into a state where I cannot delete the Android Device ID (DeviceID) from the dashboard any more. I think at some level it is deleted, as when I booted the game directly after the attempted deletions, it created a brand new account for that DeviceID.

I started with two Player accounts and a single Android device.

Acount1 (1B417FD025795D25) just had the DeviceID linked

Account2 (A9274EC4CE2C691A) just had the GPG account linked.

I wanted to test linking to GPG so I:

1) Booted my game which logged into Account1 via DeviceID.

2) I then logged into Account2 via GPG and force linked the DeviceID to Account2.

I then checked the Players Dashboard and Account1 became orphaned and Acccount2 now had the DeviceID and the GPG ID. This was all as expected.

I then wanted to test a few more scenarios, so I:

1) Logged into the Players Dashboard

2) Copied the DeviceID (only) from Account2 for later use

3) Unlinked the DeviceID from Account2

4) Linked the DeviceID to Account1. NOTE: I did not fill in the Device Model and OS Version as I don't have this information from the dashboard...

I then booted my game again and it logged into Account1 as expected via DeviceID. I then linked to Account 2 again via GPG and once again things worked as expected.

It was at this point that I tried to unlink the DeviceID from Account2 for a second time and was unable to do so. I tried this a number of times and this can be seen in the Admin Dashboard. Curiously, only the Link deletions are present, I would, have also expected to see the Link Creations listed here...

I then booted my game again and instead of logging into Account2 as I would have expected given the Players Dashboard info, it created a brand new account.

At this point I am assuming that the DeviceID info attached to Account2 has become corrupted on attempted deletion or is corrupt because I did not add the Device Model and OS Version (they are denoted with red asterisks but the UI still allowed me to link without them).

Any help you can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Niall

Account Managementandroid
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

I tried with the steps you've provided. However, I can't reproduce your issue. I can unlink the DeviceID from Account2 from dashboard. The Device Model and OS Version should not be a issue, although they are marked as required in dashboard, but you can leave them empty. I'd suggest you recheck your steps and make sure you are always using force link when linking the DeviceID to Account2. If you still have problem, please share a more detailed steps and the error messages when you unlink the DeviceID from Account2.

12 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ commented ·

As an additional debugging step, try calling GetUserAccountInfo on the bad account and see what comes up. There is a known display bug in Player Overview where it will sometimes show linked device accounts that are no longer linked. Naturally, it's also unable to remove these orphaned links.

0 Likes 0 ·
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon Andy ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Andy,

I will give that a go and report back. It seems like it could be a display bug given that a new account was created when attempting to log in using the Device ID.

This bug worries me a little as I will be relying on the dashboard for resolving Customer Service issues. If I can'tnt rely on the data I'm shown...

0 Likes 0 ·
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon Niall Muldoon commented ·

Hi again Andy,

I'm unable to call GetAccountInfo on the account as I only login via DeviceID and I'm not able to do that for the account in question so it does very much seem like a display bug.

Do you have a link to the bug you mentioned? I'd like to track its progress.

Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon commented ·

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the help.

All of the link/unlink steps were carried out on the dashboard so I had no opportunity to force unlink and no opportunity error messages.

Only the login (after the attempts to unlink from the dashboard) was on device and this is what created the brand new account.

Is that what you tried?

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ Niall Muldoon commented ·

No, in this step: "I then linked to Account 2 again via GPG and once again things worked as expected.", I logged into Account2 via GPG and force linked the DeviceID to Account2 on device like what you've did before in step 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon JayZuo ♦ commented ·

Sorry, I've phrased that poorly.

I meant that I wasn't having trouble with any of the API calls, just the dashboard link/unlink of the DeviceID.

The problem only started after both sets of numeric steps when I tried to unlink in the dashboard.

0 Likes 0 ·
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon commented ·

Is there any need for me to keep the accounts around for you to debug or can I delete them so I can test new repro steps?

About the admin dashboard: "Curiously, only the Link deletions are present, I would, have also expected to see the Link Creations listed here..." <- is this a bug?

Regarding the Device model and OS Version info we send to PlayFab, is there a way to see that data for a player on the dashboard? It may help down the line with CS tickets or generally just having more info about the player base.

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ Niall Muldoon commented ·

Yeah, there is a bug with dashboard when you try to link the id that has already linked to another user. For example, the Device Id has linked to Account 1 and you link the same Id to Account 2 from dashboard. Your link will be done, but there will be no "Player unlinked account" event for Account 1. And if you check the dashboard, you will find both of them have the Id linked. This is a bug and actually this Id has been unlinked from Account 1. You can use GetUserAccountInfo as Andy said to check this. And in this situation, the Id will always displays in dashboard, and you can't perform unlink action.

1 Like 1 ·
Niall Muldoon avatar image Niall Muldoon JayZuo ♦ commented ·

Ah, that's interesting, I'm 95% sure I tried that on the dashboard to see what would happen so that may be the root cause. Is there an open bug you can link me to for that?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.