question

anselmodiniz avatar image
anselmodiniz asked

Hosting the game

I read the PLAYFAB documentation, but I still have some doubts about it:

1 - Where is the game hosted? At PLAYFAB, AZURE?

2 - Do I need to have a server structure in my business to manage and host the game, or is everything in control in PLAYFAB?

3 - The monthly values of PLAYFAB include (if applicable) also the hosting of the game?

These are straightforward questions, but I do not find a convincing answer.

Sorry, my English is not the best!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

1. Much of PlayFab is currently hosted in AWS. Our updated server hosting is in Azure, as are other new services we have enabled (and will). Eventually, PlayFab will be entirely in Azure, but our first priority is to ensure zero disruption to the thousands of live titles running in our service.

And, if you are using our server hosting, those custom game servers can run in many of the Azure datacenters worldwide.

Ultimately, it shouldn't really matter to you where the core PlayFab service runs, though. As a Web API-based service, you should expect some latency on calls, so even for distant players, it shouldn't matter.

2. No, we host all services we provide. What you'll need to do is monitor for errors returned to calls you make or in your Cloud Scripts, so that you can fix any issues originating from your code. And if you use server hosting, of course, you'll want to monitor the server health by checking the logs returned.

3. I'm not clear on what you're asking, on this one. We host backend services, and you can use custom game servers to run hosted game sessions that your clients connect to. If you mean, do we host the download of your game or are we a host site for HTML5 games (or similar), then the answer is no.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.