question

nodragem avatar image
nodragem asked

Community achievements/statistics for a word game

Hello,

I am making a game where the players need to recreate the different words of the English dictionary.

When a player submit a word to the game, the word is checked against a dictionary (a text file that I have). If the word is correct, several things should be stored: the remaining letters, the word found, who found this word first, how many people found this word. The last two variables are collected to make a community achievement table. If the community find the ~176000 words, they get rewarded.

So here is my idea of how to organized my data:

• in the player data:
    • a list of the words found (there are ~176000 words to be found)
    • a list of the letters in inventory
  • in player statistics:
    • number of words found
    • number of first found words
  • in entity data (title_data):
    • a table Community_Dictionary with the columns: word, first_finder, nb_found
    • letter scores (a csv file)
    • word list (words separated by a space)

Basically, what I am the most unsure about is the table Community_Dictionary. It needs to be accessible and modifiable quickly by all the users. This being said, I could divide my player into subgroup of ~100 players to accommodate Playfab's entity model limitation (and also make the game more interesting maybe).

Do you think that such a community dictionary can be done with Playfab?

Also, does Playfab support offline first features? so that if the user find a word while offline, the data will be sync automatically when they come back online.

Thank you very much,

community
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

Title data is a cached and sharded resource, which means there will delay before all endpoints are updated. Hence, we do not suggest use title data for frequent changes. We suggest you implement an external database or use 3rd party tools like Snowflake to maintain this large, frequent-change data.

In terms of offline feature, if I was right, you are talking about other players’ behaviors affecting user self’s data. In the perspective of programing, the offline feature is a data update/sync every time the user comes online. In fact, all the data should have been calculated and set as soon as (other players’) actions are done.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.