question

andrewalpha avatar image
andrewalpha asked

The future of Unity custom game servers.

Does someone at PlayFab have a statement on Unity using the updated Terms of Service to block the SpatialOS service?

See section 2.4 on "Streaming and Cloud Gaming Restrictions": https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

An interpretation of the rule could be that we're not allowed to run Unity multiplayer games in the cloud, which would obviously be pretty disruptive, and possibly disastrous. Currently we're building a game using PlayFab custom game servers, which use AWS for cloud hosting (which so far has been quite nice, thanks!).

I understand if you're unable to make a statement, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

unity3dCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

I was just looking into this today, as I read about it over on Ars Technica.

Short story is that we don't have a statement right now. We're investigating, though, and once we have an update, we will let everyone know.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ andrewalpha commented ·

Here is our official statement on the matter:

PlayFab does not provide legal advice to its customers, and you should always obtain independent legal advice on the use of third party services and products. That said, we think Unity's latest update to its Terms of Service are pretty clear: "Unity developers are free to use any service offered to Unity developers"

1 Like 1 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ Andy ♦♦ commented ·

Also, to be clear, these forums will continue to be the place to come and ask questions about PlayFab's integration with Unity. There's no expectation that Unity will provide technical assistance to PlayFab customers.

0 Likes 0 ·
sickshark avatar image sickshark commented ·

Just want to say. SpatialOS which has the identical services like yours has been kicked out.
Cloud services are against Unity policy apparently... do you have any other updates?

https://improbable.io/company/news/2019/01/10/unity-blocks-spatialos

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan sickshark commented ·

Please see above. If you review the update from Unity, you'll see that's not the case.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.