question

andrew@spryfox.com avatar image
andrew@spryfox.com asked

Replace display name while skipping profanity filter?

Because of some legacy issues, we have to occasionally migrate individual users to a new playfab account. This has been fine, except we recently added display names, which seem harder to migrate.

I figured the path would be to clear the old account's display name, before migrating and setting the new one. Unfortunately, there's no API to clear a display name. I then thought about setting the display name to something unique but boring, like the user's playfab ID, but I worry about that accidentally triggering the profanity filter with some ID substring like A55.

Is there a better way to clear the old username? Is there a way (maybe using cloudscript?) to bypass the profanity filter? Is there a better migration/clone API call that I've missed?

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

When you say profanity filter, do you mean the service provided by Community Sift add-on? I doesn't use this function, but according to the description "Community Sift will automatically filter profane display names on Client API calls that will affect the DisplayName depending on the profanity level selected", it seems this will only work on Client API, you can try to use Admin API to see if you can bypass this. Besides, Admin APIs can't be used in Cloud Script for now. You may need to use a local script/tool which makes the call to do this.

9 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

andrew@spryfox.com avatar image andrew@spryfox.com commented ·

Yeah community sift. This is a semi-common enough event that I don't want the migration to go through an admin running a tool.

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ andrew@spryfox.com commented ·

So does Admin API work for you? If it does, you can use it in your custom server to do the migration automatically.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan andrew@spryfox.com commented ·

I'll also point out that no, there's no "clear title display name" API call, and you can't bypass the display name filtering if you have it turned on, so setting the display name for each player to something like the decimal representation of their PlayFab ID, then back to a real display name would result in two Community Sift checks. It likely would be best to use a tool for the migration, as Jay suggested.

0 Likes 0 ·
andrew@spryfox.com avatar image andrew@spryfox.com brendan commented ·

> use the admin api on your server
unfortunately we don't have a server - that's what playfab is supposed to be for! :)

> use a admin api tool
this is user-directed, and it's expected to happen to most users. it's not practical to do by-hand fixes.

the reason for the migration is because if someone decides to link a google account after frictionless login, we log them out, then log in with google. most of the time this will create a new account (which wipes the display name) but it might occasionally load an old account of theirs. the only way to know would be to do a CreateAccount=false login, but that would consume google's auth token and we wouldn't be able to log in again. I was advised to do a blind login like this by playfab, but I can't find the forum link/email now.

this approach has been fine for us for ages, but adding display names has started to cause problems.

how do you get the "decimal representation of the playfab ID?"

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.