question

Juan Manuel Martinez avatar image
Juan Manuel Martinez asked

Playfab + UnrealEngine + Dedicated Servers.

Hi everybody,

So, I decide to begin to post here all my questions, just because maybe someday someone needs to know this.

Well, we are doing a multiplayer game with unreal and finally we decide to integrate dedicated servers in order to make our game competitive.

Now a days, I have made some test with one version of the game as dedicated server and the client version... choppy gameplay was de result. Now I want to begin to improve the bandwith utilization in our project.

First thing, local dedicated server. I saw some parameters on the defaultgame.ini file:

[OnlineSubsystemPlayFab]
BuildVersion=0.5.6.01.2p
TitleID=xxxx
DevelopmentEnvironment=true
DevelopmentURL=.playfabapi.com
ProductionURL=.playfabapi.com
SecretKey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
USELOCALSERVER=false
LOCALSERVERPORT=7777
LOCALSERVERIP=188.37.212.85

The interesting ones are the last three. Looking inside the first integration of playfab for unreal engine, I found this:

bool useLocal = false;
GConfig->GetBool( PLAYFAB_CONFIG, TEXT( "USELOCALSERVER" ), useLocal, GGameIni );
if( useLocal )
{
FString port = "7777";
GConfig->GetString( PLAYFAB_CONFIG, TEXT("LOCALSERVERPORT"), port, GGameIni );

FString LocalIP = TEXT("127.0.0.1");
                GConfig->GetString(PLAYFAB_CONFIG, TEXT("LOCALSERVERIP"), LocalIP, GGameIni);

ConnectInfo = FString::Printf(TEXT("%s:%s"), *LocalIP, *port);
            }

This code is located inside the method GetResolvedConnectString. This method belongs to the implementation of the IOnlineSession interface made by playfab.

Well, the question is. Does this actually works? Does anyone test it? I remember to try to run a local server 3 months ago, but was totally impossible. I'm gonna try it again, and I will tell you the results.

Another question: I'm currently using the test amazon machine that you provide for the people who wants to try dedicated servers. Well, I would like to know the specs of that machine. Also I want to know the available bandwith. In fact, the bandwidth number is the most important. It is necessary to know If you want to make a good job with bandwith optimization process on the client side.
The hardware specs, can be tested by brute force. I mean, If 4 instances of your game in one host works fine, then increase the number to 5. Repeat this process until the server begins to
boil...

I will continue posting here the dedicated server process.
Thanks.

Juan,

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Ah, I see. That project was not in general release - it was made available to developers who needed an early version of the Unreal integration.

However, as there are significant differences between that project and our released Unreal Blueprint and C++ SDKs, we should focus on those newer SDKs for any feedback and advice to our development community in general, since those are the versions people will be using.

For any help with the old integration, please reach out to us directly at devrel@playfab.com, and we can help advise on any issues you're having there.

For the EC2 servers, all titles have access to 1 m3.medium on-demand Windows server instance for testing. You can find the complete specs for these servers in the Amazon EC2 info pages: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/. For now, developers who need more or larger servers should reach out to us at devrel@playfab.com to arrange for billing for their server usage (as stated on our pricing page, at the AWS rate + 10% to cover costs). We'll have the site updated soon to make the billing setup for server upgrades part of the Game Manager.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

What project are you using? I'm not seeing any of those defines in the Unreal C++ or Blueprint SDKs we have in GitHub.

10 |1200

Juan Manuel Martinez avatar image
Juan Manuel Martinez answered

Hi Brendan,

6 months ago, you release your first unreal integration. It was in an early stage. We integrate it in our project and began to evolve it. The github private repository where you store the integration doesn't exists anymore.

But the support for localserver was given by default.

Thanks!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.