question

tomek avatar image
tomek asked

Question about Entity profile updates per 15 seconds Limit

Hi, we are small indie studio with just 2 developers, and we soon gonna be releasing out title that uses PlayFab leaderboard free tier. On our limits page there is one statistic we are almost reaching while testing, which is Entity profile updates per 15 seconds. I have a few questions regarding that:

1) if we go live and a user actually reaches the limit, we will get charged 19.99 when having <100kMAU right? What would be the new limit? current is 10.

2) What does the custom limit exactly do? Does enabling this guarantees the limit will never be reached and calls will be i.e. rejected?

3) If we reach the limit once (one user), than next month the limit is reset to normal? or we will have to pay for upgraded limit every month afterwards?

4) What exactly constitues entity profile update? for now what we do is:

- give player a character through cloud script.

- update this character statistics (7 statistics total) but we update one at a time based on level played.

- authenticate with create new flag using device id both android and iOS.

Are all of them included in this statistic?

Big thanks in advance for your help.

limits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

1) if we go live and a user actually reaches the limit, we will get charged 19.99 when having <100kMAU right? What would be the new limit? current is 10.

No, you will not be charged if a user reaches the limit. What you are describing is the pricing model PlayFab uses for upgrades. For example, in the free tier, you have the option to pay $19.99 per 100K MAU for 1,000 items in your catalog (the base is 250). But there is no upgrade option for Entity profile updates.

2) What does the custom limit exactly do? Does enabling this guarantees the limit will never be reached and calls will be i.e. rejected?

You can set a custom limit value to be enforced. But please note it must be within the provisioned limit for the current plan (e.g. <10). And if the calls try to exceed the limit, they will simply fail. And you will receive limit exceeded error.

3) If we reach the limit once (one user), than next month the limit is reset to normal? or we will have to pay for upgraded limit every month afterwards?

For Entity profile updates, when the user reach the limit, his subsequent calls will fail and in next period it will be recounted. For the price details, please contact PlayFab's sales team.

4) What exactly constitutes entity profile update?

The only API that currently interacts with that limit is WriteEvents. Each entity for which you log an event has a discrete counter that is tracked against that limit. So, for a specific player entity, you can log 10 events every 15 seconds.

Note that WriteEvents supports batches of events. That means that, while you may only call it a handful of times, each event in the payload counts as one "update" toward the limit for that entity.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tomek avatar image
tomek answered

Hi,

Thanks for very detailed and quick answer. Sadly I still don't understand exactly when I am updating entity profile, as the above mentioned calls are the only once I use, I don't deliberately use entities in my project nor I ask for entity token, we just authenticate using Android and iOS unique identifier. I would like to change it but first would need to know which of my calls actually updates entity profile. Again our write calls cover:

- grant player a character(s) through cloud script.

- update this character statistics (7 statistics total) but we update one at a time based on level played.

- authenticate with create new flag using device id both android and iOS.

Our project id is 6B54;

Also can you elaborate on "...his subsequent calls will fail and in next period it will be recounted." How exactly it is going to be recounted?

Again thanks for help.

13 comments
10 |1200

JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ commented ·

That's weird. All above mentioned calls are not related to entity profile. Using them should not update entity profile. Could you please check https://developer.playfab.com/en-US/6B54/limits/CustomData/EntityUpdatesPer15Seconds and share a screenshot?

0 Likes 0 ·
Julius Hipolito avatar image Julius Hipolito JayZuo ♦ commented ·

For the specific answer by @Jay Zuo:

What exactly constitutes entity profile update?

The only API that currently interacts with that limit is WriteEvents. Each entity for which you log an event has a discrete counter that is tracked against that limit. So, for a specific player entity, you can log 10 events every 15 seconds.

Note that WriteEvents supports batches of events. That means that, while you may only call it a handful of times, each event in the payload counts as one "update" toward the limit for that entity.

-----

As an example, in a 'WriteEvents' payload of 12 events:

10 events are simple LogEvents that post player actions like jumping, direction, ability usage, for telemetry purposes.

2 events contain purchasing events that would update the entity.

1) In the example above, would the 10 events that are for telemetry logging be considered an update and count towards the limit?

2) 6 Months after the question and answer, is 'WriteEvents' still the only API that interacts with the UpdatesPer15Seconds limit?

1 Like 1 ·
Shaiv Kamat avatar image Shaiv Kamat Julius Hipolito commented ·

Would really appreciate a clarification regarding log events mentioned above.

@Jay Zuo

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
tomek avatar image tomek JayZuo ♦ commented ·

This is 15 seconds limits

And this is 5 minutes:

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ tomek commented ·

I'll add this to JayZuo's answer above.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.