question

Paul Pacheco avatar image
Paul Pacheco asked

Server tags and international characters

I tried adding tags to my external server:

first tag is language = "ru"

second tag is world = "Эдельгард"

The sessions tab is messing up the russian characters as you can see in this screenshot:

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Hi, have you tried to use these tags? Does it work when using "Эдельгард". It is important to know if it is only a display problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Yes, I tried using the tag, and it came as garbage. It looks like it is stored as garbage, not just displayed.

Until this bug is fixed my workaround is to base64 encode my tag data and decode it when I retrieve it. Yuck , but at least I can move forward.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco commented ·

I should have given some more detail:

I am using legacy external server.

My server is unity,

I am passing the tag via `RegisterGameRequest`

unity playfab sdk version: 2.55.181114

0 Likes 0 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Paul Pacheco commented ·

It is important to let you know that our team will no longer support legacy game server soon as game server 2.0 -- Thunderhead is introduced according to PlayFab 2018 Q3 Roadmap. ThunderHead is currently in preview mode and if you're interested in operating the service at production-scale, there will be a 30% discount for developers. This new feature of PlayFab will provide flexible scaling servers with low latency with the help of Microsoft Azure when implementing multiplayer functions like matchmaking. Please spend your time on learning Thunderhead.

If you are implementing multiplayer, or matchmaking features, Photon is another good option for you. To set up photon, you can see it at [your game manager] – [Add-on] –[photon]. Our website offers very detailed step-by-step tutorials, please check Getting started with Photon and Unity.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco Seth Du ♦ commented ·

Thank you for the information.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see how to use externally hosted servers with Thunderhead.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Thanks, we've entered this as a bug. As Seth pointed out though, we'd encourage having a look at our new server hosting option as soon as you get a chance.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Paul Pacheco avatar image Paul Pacheco commented ·

Any progress on this?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Paul Pacheco commented ·

Servers 2.0 is about to reach general availability, at which point we'll be starting on the deprecation cycle for the legacy server hosting. It will continue to work for live titles, but we won't be able to apply resources to updating that service, unfortunately.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan brendan commented ·

Oh, and specific to this issue - Unicode is fully supported in the newer server hosting model.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.