question

jeff-1 avatar image
jeff-1 asked

How do Limited Edition items interact with item containers?

We are using the Limited Edition feature for an item.

How is this enforced with item containers? If an item container generates an item for which no new instances are available, what happens? Is there a way to prevent drop tables from rolling items which aren't able to be granted?

I've tried testing this but gotten inconsistent results.

In-Game EconomyContent
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

When the total number of a limit edition item is set, not matter it is a normal item, bundle or container. The number of this item in the entire title is determined. Players will not get any extra item even opening the container.

You can use IncrementLimitedEditionItemAvailability API calls to increase the limit number.

Thus, if you are granting items to many accounts at very high rate, there is possibility that the number of limited items may exceed the limits a bit, then you will get error messages.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jeff-1 avatar image jeff-1 commented ·

I'm interested in (and puzzled by) containers that drop limited edition items.

I tested this with a dummy item, whose Limited Edition count was set to 5, and a container that used a drop table with one entry (just the dummy item). By unlocking the containers, I was able to get more than 5 of those dummy items in my inventory.

We also have a bug where our containers are successfully unlocking and reporting the gain of a Limited Edition item to our game client, but the item does not appear to be added to the PlayFab inventory. My hypothesis was that it was the Limited Edition restriction causing this, but that's not what my dummy item test showed.

Thus my question: what is the expected behavior here? If a container could drop a limited edition item, does that mean that if the limit has been hit then a container may drop nothing at all?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan jeff-1 commented ·

One thing to be aware of is that there are a lot of servers processing data in PlayFab. For Limited Edition items, if you rapidly grant them to players, it's possible you'll exceed the limit by a small amount (depending on how fast you're granting them).

But yes, if you've hit the limit, no more of that item can be granted. The Drop Tables do not "skip" the item in that case, so that could result in the player getting nothing. I'd recommend using https://api.playfab.com/documentation/server/method/EvaluateRandomResultTable in a Cloud Script, if that's what you'd like to do.

1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.