question

bajunkinizer avatar image
bajunkinizer asked

New to PlayFab. How to use matchmaking?

Hello im new to playfab and relatively new to coding in general. Reading API docs is really overwhelming for me and I cant really grasp what it's trying to say. I feel like the docs are not really what looking for.

As a project for school, Im trying to build a simple web based app/program that allows a user to look for teammates(only) in any game. They will be matched according to the game they play, plus a few extra tags like similarities, rank, etc. I ran into playFab and it seems like it has this feature so I plan to use it as the backend.

The problem is , I dont really know what to do. Ive done my first 'successful api call' with the help of the tutorial but I cant find anything for the matchmaking feature.

Im using node js btw. Help is really appreciated.

apisMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Seth Du avatar image
Seth Du answered

For matchmaking features, there are few methods to implement.

Matchmaking related APIs Playfab supports are Matchmaker APIs, which is used in custom server. Custom server is a legacy method we used to use, detailed tutorials are provide in Custom Game Servers. There is custom game server sample along with client project on the GitHub -- PlayFabGameServer, you can try to build your own version. If there is any issues with latest version, you can try to retrieve previous version in the commits history. There are few documentations about classic custom server, but PlayFab team will no longer support it soon.

Thus, the new version of multiplayer servers – ThunderHead is introduced according to PlayFab 2018 Q3 Roadmap. ThunderHead is currently in preview mode and if you're interested in operating the service at production-scale, there will be a 30% discount for developers. This new feature of PlayFab will provide flexible scaling servers with low latency with the help of Microsoft Azure when implementing multiplayer functions like matchmaking. Please spend your time on learning Thunderhead.

Photon is another good option for you to realize the matchmaking function. For the Free tier users, photon provides around 20 CCU. To set up photon, you can see it at [your game manager] – [Add-on] –[photon]. Our website offers very detailed step-by-step tutorials, please check Getting started with Photon and Unity.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.