question

joehot200 avatar image
joehot200 asked

Why won't my servers close on their own?

hi,

I am testing my Playfab Custom Server, and I notice that the server does not close automatically. I have to manually terminate the instance.

For example, if I select USCentral, a server starts. Then, if I deselect It, a USCentral server continues running, despite the fact that it should close down.

I am using the Playfab client and server project, the only major modifications being that I have all of the client AND server code in one project.

Thank you,

Joe

Ps, feel free to start a server in my name if you need to test.

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

It looks like the servers on your title have successfully closed. Further, I've noticed that server instances usually close down in a few minutes of when you remove all regions from your builds. Is it possible there were still open connections to the server or the executable had gotten into a bad state that would have delayed shut down?

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

joehot200 avatar image joehot200 commented ·

To clarify, I am manually using the button to terminate the instance, in the active games screen. Without manual termination, the server doesn't stop running. The server does not terminate automatically if I deselect the region, and this is something I've tested and confirmed.

I would really strongly doubt that the server is in a "bad state". I can successfully connect to the server and it behaves as expected.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ joehot200 commented ·

That's correct. A server won't spin down if there are still active games on it. You'd either need to terminate the game(s) as you did, or let them come to a conclusion themselves.

0 Likes 0 ·
joehot200 avatar image joehot200 Andy ♦♦ commented ·

So you're saying that I need to manually add code for my server to close itself down if there are no players on it? But how would my server know? It could be a just-spun-up server, in which case it wouldn't have any players.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.