question

ZaharZagrava avatar image
ZaharZagrava asked

Spin up node.js build

I am very new to playfab and I want to know right away one thing. How can I spin up my node.js build and connect clients to it? In Gamesparks I used RealTime Scripts feature and connected it to Matchmaking. How can I do it here? And is there any limitations on this builds with an Essentials tier?

limitsMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
JayZuo avatar image
JayZuo answered

According to your description, it seems you want to build a custom Multiplayer Server with node.js. For now, there are two options. You can try with PlayFab Multiplayer Servers 2.0 (Thunderhead) which is a major upgrade to PlayFab’s Multiplayer Servers feature, making it even easier to build, test, launch, and operate session-based multiplayer games. However, it is now in private preview and will go into public preview in early December. Another way would be using the traditional Custom Game Servers. And you can refer to the sample on GitHub.

For matchmaking, there are also two versions. Matchmaking (Preview) is PlayFab's new matchmaking technology, based on Xbox Live SmartMatch, is now in private preview. To learn more or apply for the private preview, read this blog post. For the traditional matchmaking system, it's extremely simple - given the parameters you pass in, it finds the first empty slot in a session that matches those parameters, and returns it. If there's no match and you've specified that the call can create a session, it does that and returns a slot in that session. In client, you will use APIs here, and in your game server, you will use APIs here. For more information, please also see Custom Game Servers document.

Custom server is available for Essentials tier, for more information about the limitations, please see Limits tab under Settings in Game Manager dashboard.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.