question

lingzhuzhang2020 avatar image
lingzhuzhang2020 asked

How to search player in Game manager by using Searchable fields?

Hi,

Sometimes I found search players by special searchable fields is useful, but I don't know how to write a correct query for some fields (like search for ContactEmailAddresses==null, BannedUntil==null). Where or how can I get to know? I feel the examples in "Search tips" are too simple.

For instance. Yesterday we found a critical bug which will affect lots of players. A quick solution could be, do "link custom id" for every affected user. But "link custom id" cannot be finished in cloudscript, so we gave up, and try to search for affected players in Game manager, and do it manually. I need to find all players who are without a username or email. In this scenario, using search fields is quite important. (Unfortunately I can't write a correct one. I fixed some players but we still gained a lot of 1 star ratings due to that bug)

game manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The Game Manager really isn't designed for the kind of query you describe (getting a list of all players meeting a certain criteria). It's useful for looking up individual players based upon some matching elements (username, email, etc.), but in general, we'd recommend using the data warehouse (Snowflake, currently) for that sort of work.

What are the details of the bug you had? It's possible we may be able to recommend some alternate means to resolve the issue for your players.

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

lingzhuzhang2020 avatar image lingzhuzhang2020 commented ·

Thank you for your reply. We use Unity to deal with both ios and android. We used to use a transformed DeviceID to LoginWithAndroidDeviceID/LoginWithIOSDeviceID into playfab (only to offer player a quick start). The transformed ID will be stored in player's local file. One day, we released our game (v1.0.2) in ios app store. Then we found we shouldn't use DeviceID for android (because that will leads to READ_PHONE_STATE permission request, which is bad), so we changed login way of both android and ios, use GUID and call LoginWithCustomID instead. We also have other bug fixes, so we release the update v1.0.3.

The customID is still stored in the same key(as the transformed deviceID) and will not override the old value. So we thought old players could still use the old account. But old players will create a new account here, and they will lose their account if they uninstall the game.

In the quick way, we try to find as many old players as we could, and manually link a CustomID using the same string of their DeviceID to their account. I don't know why, but players will log into their old account after linking.

0 Likes 0 ·
lingzhuzhang2020 avatar image lingzhuzhang2020 commented ·

We have pushed a v1.0.4 to app store to fix that bug. Game will read the format of their local stored ID and determine to call LoginWithDeviceID or LoginWithCustomID. We also manually fix single player's independent issues. In the future we still could have players unhappy because some players had replayed and would like to keep their new account. I still think it is good to think more and learn more.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan lingzhuzhang2020 commented ·

Thanks, but it's not clear from this how we could help. From what you describe, the players have an ID locally that they're using to sign in. Realistically, there's nothing we can do that would "fix" this, since the ID you're using is accepted by the login calls in question. Ideally, if you had a timestamp or application version ID associated with the IDs, you could make some smart decisions about how to handle login for the player based upon that, but it sounds like that's not the case?

If there's something specific you're thinking could help with you case, could you detail that?

0 Likes 0 ·
lingzhuzhang2020 avatar image lingzhuzhang2020 brendan commented ·

Thank you for your reply. If we can use more client api on the server side (cloudscript), like "link custom id", we could have quicker reaction in the future maybe? That's all that I can think of.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.