question

benmadsen avatar image
benmadsen asked

How would I create an A/B test for VC Regeneration and Max levels?

I would like to be able to A/B test Currency Regeneration and Max amounts. Since I don't see an obvious way to do this, I was looking at implementing something with Scheduled Tasks, but was wondering what kind of load this was going to put on PlayFab's servers if I tried to do a "run-this-for-every-player-in-the-segment" for each A/B segment that checks for an auto-generation timer and bumps the generated VC for each player that it applied to. Does this sound like a reasonable way to approach the problem? Or is this likely to put too much strain on the system once we get a full load of users on our title?

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

benmadsen avatar image benmadsen commented ·

I suppose we could also make it a client-initiated call where, if the client is online and active, they could send a request to check in with CloudScript and CloudScript would then catch up any currency that hadn't been generated since the last check-in.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, if you want to do this, you'd need to do it only as a player-initiated action. Bear in mind that we don't recalculate every player's VC balances every second - we only update them when the client is actually checking VC balances (via an inventory call) or making a purchase. So those would be the only times you'd also need to do the check.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

benmadsen avatar image benmadsen commented ·

That makes sense. I was wondering even on the server-side how you'd go about updating that many players all of the time...

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.