question

Canberk Soner avatar image
Canberk Soner asked

Workaround for trading stackable items

As seen in this feature request:

https://community.playfab.com/idea/18973/stackable-and-tradable-items.html

Our game is a card-based game. Having cards be both tradable and stackable is a core part of our game, no compromise is possible.

So, since this isn't inherently supported by PlayFab, what workaround should I use?

Having items be tradable, and adding "Amount" as custom field to player's data sounds like it would work. But I'm not sure how to sort out the trade API for this.

I think the only way is to not use trade API for trading cards and just use custom cloud logic to grant items & change item amounts.

Thoughts?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

[Edit 2019.09.11] We are in the process of finalizing a new Commerce service which we will encourage all developers to move to as soon as it works for their schedules. The newer system is based on the Entity model we've been rolling out, giving us far more flexibility as well as addressing our key issues with the legacy Commerce service. Our goal for the initial release (we'll be posting to our blog with more on our schedule soon, so keep an eye on that for specifics) is to have feature parity with the legacy service, but with a few additions, like the User Generated Content system we've discussed elsewhere. So one key item - this will require moving to a different catalog/inventory system in order to adopt the new features.

We're actually in the process of updating the Commerce system, which will allow for trading of stackables and virtual currencies. We expect to have that update complete by the end of the year. If you need to have this functionality ahead of that, using Cloud Script would be one approach, though there's no way to make that a reliably atomic operation. I'd recommend holding off until we complete the update. We'll be posting in the blog when it is complete, to let everyone know.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Canberk Soner avatar image Canberk Soner commented ·

Thanks for the reply.

I can wait for the update for item trading, but I will have to begin development for stackable items now. If I create my items as stackables now, will it be hard to convert them to stackable & tradable when the update arrives?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Canberk Soner commented ·

No, there won't be anything you'll need to change in the player accounts to accommodate the new model.

0 Likes 0 ·
Linda Shi avatar image Linda Shi commented ·

Hi Brendan, I was wondering if this feature is still on the table? Currently we are using work around but it would be great if we can trade stackables it makes consuming the item much easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Linda Shi commented ·

I'll edit the above, to provide the latest.

0 Likes 0 ·
Linda Shi avatar image Linda Shi brendan commented ·

Thanks so much for the update, looking forward to the new system :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.