question

icejam games inc avatar image
icejam games inc asked

Server/environment staging?

Hi - I'm exploring playfab at the moment, and one thing that I can't work out is how environment staging is carried out. How would I create, manage, and deploy across different server environments, e.g. from dev to test, and from test to production? Is playfab available as a virtual machine image, or similar, that we can use locally for development?
Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

At the moment, we provide one environment, so your best bet is to make all your title configuration part of your build process. That way, you can just change the Title ID out in your process, and point to another title space - that would allow you to have one Title ID you use for test, and a separate one for production.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

icejam games inc avatar image
icejam games inc answered

Thanks for your fast and helpful reply! Is there a convenient way to copy configuration, scripts etc. from one title to another? Let's say I had title A which was in test, and title B which was production, and I wanted to promote A to production. As you suggest, I could easily switch A to production by switching the title config. Now A is production, and B is test.

Now if I want to make sure that B is a perfect copy of A, is there a convenient way to copy A to B?
Thanks!

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Not yet - that's part of what we'll provide when we have a "sandbox" environment, so that you can copy the configuration from one title to another. For now, I would recommend what I said above - make it part of your build process, and then you can configure title B to match A by changing the Title ID in your process. But note that changing that in your process doesn't change which title is live - since the Client has to sign into a Title ID to start, that Title ID that ships in the Client executable is authoritative about which is live.

10 |1200

Ricardo Chavarria avatar image
Ricardo Chavarria answered

Hi, wondering if there has been any progress on cloning title ids?

Thanks!

10 |1200

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

We are planning to offer GitHub managed game configuration to make things easier later this year. I would recommend that you post to the Feature Requests board for any key features/tools you need, so that others can help to vote those up, though. We do prioritize in part based on how many people are asking for each of the items on our backlog.

10 |1200

martadmytrukh15 avatar image
martadmytrukh15 answered

Hi, Brendan.

Are there any updates on the question posetd by 'icajam games inc' :

How would I create, manage, and deploy across different server environments, e.g. from dev to test, and from test to production?

?

Thank you.

Hi, Brendan.

I was wondering if there are any updates on this info 'icejam games inc' mentioned:

How would I create, manage, and deploy across different server environments, e.g. from dev to test, and from test to production?

?

Thank you.

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

The answer is the same as above - our recommendation is to use separate Title IDs for dev/test/live. We do also provide the CLI tool (https://github.com/PlayFab/PlayFabCLI) for copying configuration data from title to title, and the Admin API calls can be used as part of your build system for much of the title configuration.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.