question

fanwu avatar image
fanwu asked

China Latency Issue

The response time from Playfab to a client in China is around 1.5-2 seconds. Is there way to speed it up?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

In general, what we've seen is that a normal client connection from China to our servers in US-West-2 (Oregon) does have higher latency. Whether this is due to the Great Firewall specifically or other routing issues is debatable. Regardless, what we've seen is that clients using a VPN, as well as titles using an edge service for routing have around half that latency time.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

fanwu avatar image fanwu commented ·

I have noticed that other games (such as squadd.io, almost a hero, etc) that used Playfab had no latency issue in China, even though their main publish area is in English region. Is it possible to know what they did to avoid the issue?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan fanwu commented ·

We're not aware of anything in specific they did, but then, if they are using an edge service we wouldn't necessarily have been part of that discussion. The setup for that would be entirely on the China side, and with the edge service provider.

0 Likes 0 ·
fanwu avatar image fanwu brendan commented ·

Thank you for the response. I have noticed an interesting behavior. The first time a request is sent, the ms is very high. after that, it became very fast as long as the connection remain active. After about 1 min of not sending anything, it slows down again. I wonder if we have done something wrong to cause this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.