question

ignat-nee avatar image
ignat-nee asked

The client has exceeded maximum api requests

Greetings.
Our matchmaker check playfab data about current games every 30 seconds, but after some counts of requests it's always receive "The client has exceed the maximum api request rate and is being throttled".
How can i determine limit of this requests? I thought 2 requests in minute it's not a huge count.

I'ts called CurrentGamesRequest function.
Kind regards.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ignat-nee avatar image ignat-nee commented ·

It's called CurrentGamesRequest function.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ ignat-nee commented ·

Can you clarify your scenario a little bit for me? When you say "your matchmaker checks PlayFab data," do you mean the individual game clients are calling the API or that you have a service making those calls?

0 Likes 0 ·
ignat-nee avatar image ignat-nee Andy ♦♦ commented ·

There is program on our server, we called her "scale"r. She looks at number of games at playfab, and create new, if it's necessary. So she getting info about games every 30 seconds.

Otherwise, there also a number of client applications, which require games list. It's called games lists about one time in 10 seconds, unitl it's find suitable game.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

You'll want to re-check your matchmaker - it's clearly sending that request more than twice per minute. Here's your API request graph, filtered on that API call (GetCurrentGames). The red indicates the calls that exceeded the rate limit.

capture.png (31.2 KiB)
18 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Nope, besides matchmaker there a lot of load test clients who call this function. But error call's on server.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ ignat-nee commented ·

You received the error over 15 thousand times inside of 5 minutes. Either you have test clients receiving the error (which would probably indicate they're not logged in as distinct users) or you're calling it many more times from your matchmaker than you thought.

0 Likes 0 ·
ignat-nee avatar image ignat-nee Andy ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for answer. I'm take care of understanding why there is such a lot request. But 15k requests in 5 minutes - it's not huge number, i guess. What we gonna do, if our game in future had online than requeres such count of requests?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

>One question, though: If you have a matchmaker server, why are the clients calling GetCurrentGames?
We still doesn't have matchmaking server. We just got a number of servers, and servers scaler, who add new servers if it's necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan ignat-nee commented ·

I don't follow. You have "a number of servers". What API calls are they making, exactly?

0 Likes 0 ·
e.timofeev@flexilestudio.com avatar image e.timofeev@flexilestudio.com brendan commented ·

Our servers do not use Client API.
But our Scaling program use Client API. To check the number of empty games.

And we had this problem when we started the Scaler and test clients on the same subnet. This was our mistake.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.