I'm setting up my economy and data handling. I stumbled upon "the 10 character limit" here and got some good feedback from @Andy. That also raised more questions...
(brief game concept):
- 1 on 1 soccer management game (Using Unity, Playfab and Photon)
- Each user has up to 25 soccer player (items) in his team
- A game is about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes long
- Best 11 soccer player feature (see items from other players)
- Trading and/or auction of soccer players
- I would go with the "each soccer-player is an item" approach. Andy mentioned that the soccer player data could be in user data. But depending on the different properties/skills/values a soccer player my have in the game, I think it makes more sense to manage that data in the item concept.
- On login the user loads his data. After a match (about 2 minutes) the data of soccer players will be updated. I think that time window is fine with PlayFab. However, I intend to "update" (give some skill points) to the player depending on the result of the match (win/lose). After the game, the player calls a CloudScript where the soccer player get some "points".
- Andy mentioned the problem of getting lots of item (data), causing lots of data (requests) from PlayFab. How would I implement something like the currently "best team", meaning the top rated 11 soccer players? I was thinking about some title data entry where the IDs of the items (soccer players) are saved. Whenever my soccer player (item) gets some skill points (e.g. won match), he would check if he's better than the "best team" soccer player. If he's better, his ID would replace the one in the best 11. It seems it's not possible to get Items by IDs directly? I would need to also save the users PlayFabID with the item ID and get the data via https://api.playfab.com/documentation/server/method/GetCharacterInventory in the CloudScript. Any other way?
- Is it possible with PlayFab to have some kind of marketplace for the soccer players? So a user can choose to put some of his soccer players (items) up for sale. In the marketplace the items for sale are listed and possible searchable for skills/properties etc. How would you implement it? How to have items and their custom data from lots of different players in a list? How to settle a purchase/transfer of an item if only one player is "online"? [Update: Found this feature request. Seems to be not possible at the moment]
- Trading one on one seems to work fine: https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/trading. Maybe this can help for my question #4?
- Can you think about other topics/pitfalls and solutions for a game like this?