question

Christopher Clogg avatar image
Christopher Clogg asked

Playfab Inventory vs Steam Inventory

Hey I am just wondering what's the best way to deal with the two systems? Our game is only going to be through Steam at the moment, and we'd like to make use of the Steam marketplace, but does that mean we shouldn't use the Playfab Catalog/Inventory since the systems are separate?

Player Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Quite candidly, there is no "best" way to deal with two completely distinct inventory systems, since regardless of what you do, there will be cases where you'll have sync issues. You can replicate all the items in the catalogs of both systems, and when a purchase is made in one, you can use server-side logic (hosted game servers or Cloud Script) to attempt to keep the other in sync, but since the updates between the two are not operations that occur coupled with the update to the first, you'll have times where one inventory or the other is going to have items the other does not.

If you want to have your inventory be something you can carry between platforms, I'd recommend using the PlayFab inventory system. For the Steam platform, you can still use the Steam Wallet for purchases using the StartPurchase flow. If you specifically want to use the Steam marketplace, you can try to keep things in sync, but it isn't recommended.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christopher Clogg avatar image Christopher Clogg commented ·

Okay that's good to know, yeah I was thinking about duplication but it could be hard to keep it in sync especially if people are selling stuff on the steam marketplace.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.